Saturday, July 23, 2005

Experts?

Have you ever given the wrong instructions to someone causing them a big headache? I received some bad, or rather incomplete, instructions causing me some problems this past week. I was installing a new computer program per the instructions given to me by the “expert” selling the program. Well, when it came time to initiate and use the new program it didn’t work. Oh great! I went and let someone talk me into another bum steer. The “expert” couldn’t figure out where I went wrong, so I went to the written instruction for installation and “wa-la!” I found the problem. I was told that I need only register part of my e-mail address when in fact the instructions clearly state to enter the full address. Works just fine when the full instructions are followed correctly.
A couple from Minneapolis decided to go to Florida for a long weekend to thaw out during one particularly icy, cold winter. They planned to stay at the same hotel they spent their honeymoon twenty years before. Because both had jobs they found it difficult to coordinate their travel schedules, so it was decided that the husband would fly to Florida on a Thursday and his wife would follow the next day. Upon arriving as planned the husband checked into the hotel. In his room was a computer, so he decided to send his wife an e-mail back in Minneapolis. However, he accidentally omitted one letter in her address and sent the e-mail without realizing his error. In Houston a widow had just returned from he husband’s funeral. The dearly departed was a well known long time preacher who had been called home following a heart attack. Expecting messages from folks around the country that had known her husband, she checked her e-mail. She found there were several, but after reading the first message she fell out of her chair in a cold faint. Her son heard the “thud”, and rushing into the room found his mother on the floor and this message on the computer screen; To: My Loving Wife; Subject: I’ve Arrived; You’re probably surprised to hear from me. I’ve just arrived and checked in. They have computer here now and you’re allowed to send e-mails to your loved ones. I see that everything has been prepared for your arrival tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you then! Hope your journey is as uneventful as mine was. P.S. Sure is hot down here!!
[Romans 6] If you have any sense of right and wrong, then I know you have thoughts of heaven and hell. I know you don’t want to spend eternity with Satan, but perhaps you’re also not sure if you’re doing all the right things to spend eternity with God. We’re instructed to “work out our own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2: 12-13), but if you’re using a checklist in the process to prove you’re righteousness, then you’re fulfilling your own will of righteousness, not God’s will. Do you feel an overwhelming need to fulfill the law? Romans 13: 8-10 clearly states how you can do that. We’re no longer under a law of rules and regulations, but under grace and love from God (Colossians 2: 13-15). God so loved the world He gave His only son. Jesus so loved the world He gave His life. Do you love heaven enough to give God your life? Only through repentance, baptism and a continuing life of obedience to the will of God, will we ever experience the full grace and love of God in heaven. Are you sending the wrong message to the wrong address? Double-check the message and address that’s been given to you by others. Get into the Bible. Don’t trust you’re soul to the “experts”.

No comments: