Saturday, July 30, 2005

Have YouThought About You Soul?

I know I’m not alone here when I say there’s a million things I want to accomplish and I want to get them done right away so I can get on to the next million things I want to accomplish. You probably run into the same problem I do, not enough hours in a day. The minute I sit something aside to go have a bite to eat or lay my head down to sleep, the world takes a spin depositing new challenges at my doorstep demanding an ever-higher priority. Things that were so important just hours before can become nothing with the advent of prosperity or disaster. My biggest problem is I get too many things going at the same time and simply lose interest in a few of them. Then again, I don’t finish some things because while working on a certain project I’ll learn something new which moves me on to another project. Well, nothings constant in this ever developing world of technology, which will keep us all hop scotching to retrieve our dreams, only to toss out another challenge before us to see if we can keep our balance one more time and successfully achieve yet another goal. At times I wonder why, then my stomach growls.
I overheard in conversation the other day a man say, “If I had a million, I’d build a new building for the church and double the preachers salary.” Of course he doesn’t have the million yet. Reminds me of the story of a man who told the brethren, when they were talking about giving to the church, “If I had a hundred pigs, I’d gladly give ten of them to the church.” One brother spoke up and said, “If you had ten pigs, would you gladly give one of them?” The first quickly answered, “That’s not fair! You know I’ve got ten pigs!” How much is enough for a comfortable, content, physical sense of well-being?
[Luke 16: 19-31] The story of Lazarus, a rich man, and the beggar who sat at his gate, is well known. After death they found themselves looking at each other, the rich man suffering with nothing and the beggar being lavished in comfort. Notice one thing here. “…between us and you a great chasm (gulf KJV) has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.” This word chasm or gulf is used only once in the entire Bible. The rich man didn’t have time for compassion or helping to improve the quality of life for others. He dug a chasm in his physical life that he now has to look across for eternity. Will that be you’re reward?
Have you ever stopped to wonder what this life is all about? Why you’re here and where you’re going when your lease on time runs out? Maybe you’ve been far too busy trying hard to reach your goal, would you let me ask you kindly, have you thought about your soul? You may reach the highest portals and your dreams may all come true, wealth and fame may be your portion, and success may shine on you. All your friends may sing your praises, not a care on you may roll. What about the great tomorrow? Have you thought about your soul? Don’t forget your days are numbered, though you may be riding high, but like all of us poor mortals, one day you’ll just up and die. Your success and fame and glory won’t be worth the bell they toll. Let me ask you just one question, have you thought about your soul? If you’ve never thought it over, spend a little time today. There’s nothing more important that will ever come your way, than the joy of sins forgiven and to know you’ve been made whole. In the name of Christ the Savior, may I plead and ask you kindly? Have you thought about your soul? Seek God first. Start now.

No comments: