Saturday, April 22, 2006

All Clogged Up?

One of the privileges of being a homeowner is you never know when something is going to fall apart and have to be fixed. Now if you’re like me you tend to let some of those things pile up until you don’t know where to start first. I think I’m going to give birth to a new “job jar” putting in little notes to myself of all the things I need to get done around here, my wife can probably fill it in five minutes. Well, some things can’t be put off. This past week I discovered I had a clogged drain somewhere as the water was backing up into my garage. No big deal, I’ll just get my trusty drain snake out and fix this problem mucho quick. Riiight! My manually operated tool just wasn’t getting the job done. After feeding about thirty feet of the spring steel into the drain it starts to feel like you’re pushing a rope up hill. I’m too stubborn and independent to call a plumber, not to mention too cheap. And after thinking about the problem for a few hours, it turns out the clog wasn’t even where I thought it was and I needed to rent a powered “roto rooter” to break up the clog in the main line half way out to the street. What a great sound it is to hear water gurgling down the drain once again. Victory!!
Just driving by or walking past this field with two horses in it, nothing unusual will be seen, unless you stop and then you’ll notice something quit amazing. Looking into the eyes of one horse will disclose that he is blind. His owner has chosen not to have him put down, but has made a good home for him. This alone is amazing. Listening, one will hear the sound of a bell. Looking around for the source, one will see that it comes from the smaller horse in the field. Attached to her bridle is a small bell. It lets her blind friend know where she is so he can follow her. As one stands and watches these two friends, one sees how she is always checking on him and that he will listen for her bell, then slowly walk to where she is, trusting that she will not lead him astray.
[Galatians 6: 1-10] Like the owner of these two horses, God does not throw us away just because we are not perfect or because we have problems and challenges. He watches over us and even brings others into our lives to help us when we are in need. That brings me to my thought. While working on that stinky ole sewer clog, I couldn’t help but think about the sins that we commit, clogging our right from wrong reasoning power, stinking up our life to a point where people don’t even want to be around us anymore. Some people get so backed-up with crud they don’t even want to be around themselves. Well, just getting to the clog and getting life to flowing again takes some help and God has seen to it that there is plenty of help for the repenting sinner. I’m reminded over and over that God’s word contains very little doctrine about the church, but is filled with conduct for life and living. It’s true, and for the person who’s blind with hopelessness, overcome by sin, God’s word and God’s people can lead them back to a life worth living. And guess what? I’ve yet to see it fail, that the person who finds love and peace in the kingdom of God, that person finds a way to help someone else unclog their life. Sometimes we’re the blind horse being guided by God and those whom He places in our lives. Other times we’re the guide horse, helping others see God. We are what we eat, we are what we think and we’ll reap what we sow. “…let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are in the household of the faith.” Go! Help unclog a stinky life.

No comments: