Sunday, July 09, 2006

Under God

Happy Birthday America!! It sort of feels like the ‘70’s doesn’t it? I mean, here we are thirty years down the road and we’re still fighting our neighbors battles all around the globe and at home we’re still being abused by the big oil companies. If zeros were pillows, how many zeros does it take to make a “1” comfortable? Oh well, call it greed, entrepreneurship or the right to pursue happiness; materialism is, always has been and will probably always be the American way, until the well runs dry. Do you remember this math problem? A man falls into a well 100 feet deep, only injuring an ankle. Lucky for him there is a ladder to the top, but his injured ankle impedes his rapid assent to safety. It seems he would climb up two rungs of the ladder then slip back one. The problem to be solved was this. How many steps will it take to climb out of the well if the rungs are 18 inches apart? I don’t know either and don’t really care. He should have been watching where he was walking. Here’s one you might get your kids and their “new math” to help you figure out. If the price of gas climbs 20 cents a gallon every holiday weekend and drops 12 cents a gallon between holidays, how many holidays will pass before gasoline is $5 a gallon? And another thing. I’m sick and tired of hearing about how the rest of the world is paying 5-7 dollars a gallon for gas. Number one: most of the rest of the world runs on diesel fuel and Number two: Texas is bigger than most countries of the world and I need my car! Another thing. Mass transit jus ain’t gonna happen in 80% of the USA. Why? Because I don’t want to go where you’re going at the time you’re going and really don’t want to stay there as long as you intend to stay. So, I’m taking my own transportation, thank-you very much! There; I’ve exercised my right to free speech granted me in the “Bill of Rights” of the constitution of the United States of America, fully clothed and without profanity. (Pardon me, I only get to spread my “Eagles Wings” like this once a year.) Is this a great country “UNDER GOD” or what?
[Isaiah 1] As you read this chapter, see where you can fit America and the Church into the story being told. I think it will surprise you and maybe even frighten you a little. You see, it took the courage of a president to insert the phrase “Under God” into our pledge of allegiance and rightfully so does it fit. I’m thrilled to be a citizen of the greatest country ever known in history and because its foundation is built upon the truths of the living God of all creation, I’m able to sit here and express my faith in the God of the universe while resting upon His promises of centuries ago that “Under God” ones nation will be great and without God a nation will never stand on it’s own for very long. I ask you. Just how long do you honestly think God is going to put up with our nonsense? Year after year God is being pushed out of our lives and we are ever increasingly ignoring His pleads and promises. At the rate of lifestyle change we are observing today, I’m afraid our grandchildren may never enjoy the peace and comfort that comes from knowing God and living a righteous lifestyle. Remember, things got so out of hand in the early 1900’s a depression besieged a Godless lifestyle country. God didn’t do it to U.S. as punishment, we did it to ourselves. The greatest and most prosperous times in this country came during times of Godly revival. Our money says, “In God We Trust”. How many zeros will it take before you find time for trusting God?

No comments: