Sunday, November 12, 2006

Me, Myself

“Psssst! I’ve got a secret! If I tell you, will you promise not to tell anyone else?” Have you ever put yourself into a situation like that before? Of course you have. Have you then ever gone on to share the “secret”? Yes, you have, haven’t you! But, it’s what happens after you share the secret that makes you wish you’d kept your mouth shut. It’s hard to not feel superior when in possession of confidential information and it’s harder to control ourselves from wanting to be important. “Letting the cat out of the bag” can, and generally does, cause a lot of trouble, because as the “secret” gets told over and over, it tends to become a vicious rumor, which then has a nasty habit of changing lives. Sharing secrets can ruin friendships, split families, sink ships, lose battles, destroy credibility’s and, who knows, could ultimately change the world. There’s a great responsibility placed on you when “you’re the only one that knows” certain things, so keep it to yourself. The next time someone wants to share a secret, say, “No, thanks.”
The following inscription can be found on a tomb in Westminster Abbey, England. When I was young and free, and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country. But, it too, seemed immovable. As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it. And now as I lie on my deathbed, I suddenly realize: If only I had changed myself first, then by example, I would have changed my family. From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country and, who knows, I may have even changed the world.
[Galatians 5: 13-15] “…love your neighbor as yourself.” Jesus shared the same thought in His great sermon and today we teach it to our children as “The Golden Rule”: “Do to others as you would want done to you” (Matthew 7: 12 & Luke 6: 31) Our biggest problem here is we tend to use our knowledge and “secrets” in an attempt to change those around us to become like us and do things our way. If you’re “long in the tooth” at all you already know that attempting to change anyone results in rebellion. Think about how you’ve changed over the years. Did the changes in you come by force or more by training, or greater yet, by example? There is a fundamental truth in our relationship with God, no matter what happens around us, no matter what others may be doing, we can be responsible before God only for ourselves. We have obligations to one another, but in the end, the only true change we control is within our self. So think about this. If I study and work to show myself approved before God what better example could I present? What then will I control, but my own attitudes and actions, how I think and how I will treat other people. I will do right, no matter what those around me do. No matter what happens, I must do what is right – what God expects of me. I will act responsibly. It’s not responsible to always be observing others and not ourselves, expecting others to change but not seek to change ourselves. In the end others may be influenced by me, but it is only my own destiny that I control. Are you having problems with others? Maybe you’re the problem. It is no secret; With God all things are possible.

No comments: