Saturday, November 25, 2006

Nouns And Adverbs

Tis’ the season to be good and kind to others less fortunate than yourself. I have a hard time understanding why it’s only for a month out of the year though. People have needs all year ‘round, but seem to be invisible in the sunshine of summer. You’ll seldom hear me boast or brag about anything, but I’ve got to tell you, it doesn’t take much to bring a smile to a deeply discouraged life. I’ve seen such things as a little food, some clothing, a ride to a doctor’s appointment or a simple conversation of encouragement, begin the recovery process of a lost lifestyle. I also know you can’t help a little today and expect everything to be o.k. tomorrow. Don’t get me wrong now. If your heart is touched by someone in need, do what you can to help, and when you reach your limitations, find a service or program to continue your good work, but follow up on the progress. There’s no better medicine or encouragement, than to show you really care.
The school system in a large city had a program to help children keep up with their school work during extended stays in the city’s hospitals. One day a teacher who was assigned to the program received a routine call asking her to visit a particular child. She took the child’s name and where he was located, then spoke briefly with the child’s regular class teacher. “We’re studying nouns and adverbs in his class right now,” the regular teacher said, “and I’d be grateful if you could help him understand them so he doesn’t fall too far behind.” The program teacher went to see him that afternoon. No one had mentioned to her that the boy had been badly burned and was in great pain. Upset at the sight of the boy, she stammered as she told him, “I’ve been sent by your school to help you with nouns and adverbs.” When she left she felt she hadn’t accomplished much. Arriving at the hospital two days latter with another lesson for the boy a nurse confronted her asking, “What did you do to that boy?” The teacher felt she must have done something wrong and began to apologize. “No, no,” said the nurse. “You don’t understand what I mean. We’ve been worried about that little boy, but ever since your visit his whole attitude has changed. He’s fighting back and responding to treatment. It’s as though he’s decided to live.” Two weeks later the boy explained that he had given up all hope until the teacher arrived. Everything changed when he came to a simple realization. He expressed it this way. “They wouldn’t send a teacher to work on nouns and adverbs with a dying boy, would they?”
[John 6: 25-59] The teacher, with good intentions, was tending to the boys’ growing mental needs so as not to fall behind his peers, but unintentionally, the teacher touched his spirit with hope. And that’s what it’s all about. I can’t perform miracles in other peoples lives, and if I could I’m not sure I’d want to, because I’d probably tend to try to make them just like me. Tend to the body of others, but don’t neglect the spirit, for it’s the spirit that brings life to the body. Yes, I understand that we’re all going to the grave one day, and personally, I going with a happy heart and a spirit full of life, because I’ve been obedient to the will of God. Ease the hurts of life the best you can in others with a loving, caring spirit and you might just be rekindling a dying spirit. Remind, or teach them of Jesus, and the promise of life eternal in the love of our heavenly Father. Life isn’t fair, but with a healthy spirit eating of the bread of life, I’ll be strong in the Lord.

No comments: