Sunday, February 18, 2007

"Cast Down" Sheep

I don’t know about you, but I’m getting a little tired of 60,000 volts of static electricity shooting out of my fingers every time I exit my chair and get within a two inch proximity of anything metal. Low humidity and cool temps are the perfect brew for producing good static charges and for some reason I seem to be one of the best storage vessels looking for a place to discharge. The sparks that fly off me even have the tendency to turn off my remote controlled office radio. I only know of two ways to prevent this from happening. One is to simply stand still until the static electricity naturally dissipates, but I don’t have the time for that. The other is to have air friction discharge the static, but I don’t move that fast. So, until we get our humidity back I guess I’ll just have to remain a little more “shocking” than usual. Bad hair days too!

One day a little girl was watching her mother doing some dishes in the kitchen sink. She suddenly noticed that her mother had some strands of white hair, noticeably contrasting on her brunette head. She inquisitively asked, “Why are some of your hairs white, Mom?” Her mother replied, “Well, every time you do something wrong to make me cry or be unhappy, one of my hairs turns white.” The little girl thought about this revelation and then said, “Momma, how come ALL of grandma’s hairs are white?”

We deem it strange to see a dog or cat lying on its back sound asleep, but I think they find comfort in it, much like you and I, at the end of the day. For me, I think bed rest gives the equilibrium and the neck a much needed rest after a long day of balancing life. Not so when it comes to sheep. Known as “cast down” sheep, the shepherd goes through a lot to get one back on its feet. You see, when sheep lay on their back, gas begins to collect in their stomach. It hardens the stomach, cuts off the air passage, and they suffocate. In addition to that, their legs go numb in that position. Only the shepherd can restore them. The process used by the shepherd to get the cast down sheep back on its feet is slow and takes patience. The shepherd rolls the sheep on its side and begins massaging the four legs to stimulate circulation. Then he begins to talk in a reassuring tone to the sheep, “Everything’s going to be alright. You’re going to make it.” Then he gently lifts the sheep up, and because it cannot stand on its own he’ll hold the animal there while the sheep begins to regain its equilibrium. The shepherd can see and feel the independence of the sheep gaining as blood flow returns to the legs and stability returns. When the shepherd is sure the sheep has recovered and can stand on its own, he begins his walk back to the fold, lovingly encouraging the sheep to follow him.

[Matthew 9: 9-13] Jesus indirectly compares himself to a physician having come to heal sinners. Humanity has dubbed Jesus “The Great Physician”, but I think He would rather be seen in the same light as the shepherd working with the “cast down” sheep. When you’re on your back and the emotional pain of guilt, grief and grudges are overwhelming you, will you remember that the Lord is your shepherd? He lovingly comes with tender hands and reassuring words, picks us up and sets us up straight until we get on our feet again. Then, as He leads the way, He continues to encourage us to follow Him back to the fold. …He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness, For His name’s sake. … And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this image of Jesus, the Good Shepherd, caring for me when I am cast down. Praise God for His loving care in restoring our souls....and for keeping track of us when we get lost.