Thursday, February 15, 2007

Fifteen Minutes

Where does the time go? It seems like I just had a birthday and here it is again. Well, like someone said long ago, “Having birthdays sure beats the alternative”. I got to reminisce about my childhood last week with the national news reporting on the big snowfall in Oswego, New York. That’s where I grew up, and I have a sister that still lives there. I remember several such snowfalls and the challenges that came with them. I also now remember why I chose to live in South Texas. I also got to thinking about my fifteen minutes of fame. It is said that we will all experience our fifteen minutes of fame and if I’ve already had mine, I’m sure disappointed. After thinking about it for a while longer I decided that, as far as I know, there isn’t any rule against improving on the fifteen minutes that may have already slipped by. Don’t try to analyze my thoughts now. I’m not planning to do something stupid just to make the national news. I just don’t want my fifteen minutes of fame while laying in a box, you know what I mean?
I don’t guess it matters the age at when your fame surfaces, because it’s what you do that matters, not when you do it. At age 42, Ted Williams slammed a home run in his official last time at bat. Mickey Mantle, age 20, hit 23 homers his first full year in the majors. Golda Meir was 71 when she became Prime Minister of Israel. William Pitt II, was only 24 when he became Prime Minister of Great Britain. George Bernard Shaw was 71 before one of his plays was first produced while Mozart was just 7 years old when his first composition was published. Benjamin Franklin was a newspaper columnists at 16, and a framer of the United States Constitution at age 81.
I think our fifteen minutes of fame just sort of sneaks up on us and I also think we get more than one in a lifetime. Maybe we have to add up the minutes. You know, like fifteen, one minute spurts of fame over a lifetime, or thirty, thirty second proud moments, if only in your own mind. I don’t know. Here are a few things we could all do to help improve our fifteen minutes. Forget each kindness that you do, as soon as you do it. Forget the praise that falls on you, the moment you win it. Forget the slander you hear, before you can repeat it. Forget each slight, each spite, each sneer, wherever you may meet it. Remember every kindness done to you, whatever its measure. Remember praise by others won, and pass it on with pleasure. Remember every promise made, and keep it to the letter. Remember those who lend you aid, and be a grateful debtor.
[James 4: 13-14] Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into this or that city, spend a year there, carrying on business and making money”. Why you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. It’s only natural that we seek recognition for the things we do in life. As for me I look forward to a lot more birthdays, all the while trying to improve on my fifteen minutes of fame. My past contains a few minutes of fame I just as soon forget and since I’ve given them all to the Lord in baptism, I know I’ve been forgiven of them and they won’t ever again be accredited to my time on earth. I, nor anyone else, have any idea what tomorrow will bring. So for this fifteen minutes I’m going to please God, then the next fifteen, and then fifteen more. I will study God’s Word to learn how to do it better the next fifteen minutes, till comes my day in the box.

No comments: