Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Are You Listening?

How many times in your life have you ended up with egg on your face because you didn’t listen close enough to instruction? How many times in your life have you given instruction, only to find that those whom you instructed weren’t paying attention and failed to follow your instruction? How many times have you heard someone say, “Nobody ever listens to me!!”? And how many people go through life frustrated because there truly is nobody who will take the time to really listen to what they have to say? Everybody wants to talk, but so few want to listen. I have been self employed for most of my working life, and learned a long time ago, self employment doesn’t separate one from listening closely to instruction. Even as a boy delivering newspapers door to door, customers gave specific instructions as to where they expected to find their newspaper each day. Failure to do so generally brought about a confrontation when it came time to get paid for my services. The same was true while working on automobiles. Do less than what the customer instructed and I have an unhappy customer. Do more than what was instructed and I have an unhappy customer, unless of course I did it for free. I include myself when I say, we are all guilty of giving poor instruction and receiving instruction when really not listening to what is being said. In our pursuit for independence we too often nonchalantly and half-heartedly listen to what is said to us and I’m afraid we miss out on friendships and relationships that could have had great influences in our life.
A story is told of Franklin Roosevelt, often enduring long receiving lines at the White House, who complained that no one really paid attention to what was said. One day during such a reception, he decided to try an experiment. To each person who came down the line and shook his hand he murmured, “I murdered my grandmother this morning.” The guests responded with phrases like, “Marvelous!; Keep up the good work, Mr. President; We’re all so proud of you. God bless you, sir.” It was not until the end of the line, while greeting the ambassador from Bolivia, that his words were actually heard. Not quite knowing what to say, the ambassador leaned over and whispered, “I’m sure she had it coming.”
[James 1:19-27] James writes: “My dear brothers, take note of this; Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.” “...Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” God has given us full instruction that we might save ourselves from destruction. If I wish to become independent from this sinful world, to live the righteous life that will save me in the end, I must follow the instruction of God as perfectly as I possibly can. And I must strive to follow all His instruction. I can’t leave out what I don’t want to do, nor can I add to His instruction hoping to gain an edge on my salvation. Extras accumulate no points with God. “...the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it – he will be blessed in what he does.” What a deal!! Most people pass this up! If I follow the instruction of God, I will enjoy life! Paul writes in Romans 8:31, “...If God is for us, who can be against us?” Benjamin Franklin said, “A pair of good ears will drink dry a hundred tongues.” Drink from God’s Word, and live.

No comments: