Sunday, July 20, 2008

Where Did I Put That?

Have you ever had one of those days when at the end of the day you feel as frustrated as a dog chasing his tail? One of those days when the more you think you’re accomplishing, the less you’re actually getting done? You know, one of those days when you’re overwhelmed with the feeling, “the faster I go, the behinder I get”. Well, like every other malady in life, doctors have pinned a name to this diagnosis of extreme fatigue and sense of “now where did I put that?”. It’s called “Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder”, A.A.A.D.D. for short. How do you know if you have it? The following is a classic example of symptoms found in A.A.A.D.D. sufferers. ☺☺☺☺☺
One patient told his doctor: The other day I decided to water my garden. As I turn on the hose near the driveway, I looked over at my car and decided my car needs washing. As I start toward the garage I notice the mail on the porch table, which I had brought from the mailbox earlier. I decide to go through the mail before washing the car. I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the trashcan next to the table, and notice the can was full, so decide to put the bills back on the table and empty the trashcan first. But then I think, as long as I’m going so near the mailbox to empty the trashcan, I may as well pay the bills first. I opened my checkbook to find only one check, so I go to my study in the house to retrieve more checks from my desk, where I find a can of soda that I had been drinking. Pushing the can of soda aside to avoid any accidental spill while I search for the checks, I noticed the soda was getting warm and decide to put it in the refrigerator. As I head toward the kitchen with the can of soda a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye and decided that they needed watering. So, I set the can of soda on the counter wherein I discover my reading glasses that I’ve been looking for most of the morning. I decide I’m going to put them back on my desk, but first I’m going to water the flowers. I set the glasses down, fill a container with water and notice someone had left the TV remote on the kitchen table, again. I realize that when I want to watch TV tonight I’ll be looking for the remote so decided to put it in the den where it belongs, but first I’ll water the flowers. While watering the flowers I spill most of the water on the floor, so set the remote down on the table and get some towels to wipe up the water. Then I walked down the hall trying to remember what I was about to do. At the end of an exhausting day the car wasn’t washed, the bills weren’t paid, there’s a warm can of soda on the counter, the flowers still need more water, my check-book still has only one check in it, I can’t find the TV remote, I can’t find my glasses and I don’t remember what I did with my car keys. So I sit and try to figure out why nothing got done that day. I’m really baffled, because I know I was busy all day long.
[Proverbs 14:12] “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.” Spending eternity in heaven or hell is a decision given to us by God. Do you keep setting your religion aside while wandering around in life try to get other things done? I saw a t-shirt the other day with this printed on it: “LIFE IS FRAGILE, HANDLE WITH PRAYER” Life is so fragile, we could die in any given minute. Don’t misplace God’s Word in your busy life, for the Word is life to your spirit. (John 14:6) To live with God you must first know God. Worldly wisdom and deeds won’t get you there.

No comments: