Saturday, August 23, 2008

It's Really Not Foreign

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). I didn’t even now what that was until just a few years ago. I have since self-diagnosed this disorder to my lack of abilities to complete tasks I assign myself, hence I now have a disability and a proper excuse for not getting things done on time. Well, maybe I just need to work harder on prioritizing my life rather than adding more tasks. I’ll think on that and get back with you. If I were going to school today I have no doubt I would have failed a grade at leased once and would probably be on some sort of medication to help me concentrate. I had a terrible time with reading, math and English especially in the later grades, but still ended up with a High School Diploma. Of late, I’ve promised myself to learn a little bit of Spanish, bought some books, tapes and the like, the same as everyone else, but haven’t learned much because I don’t spend the time with it. I think I’m like most people, simply afraid the new language will be so complicated it will be impossible to master so give up before we even start. I thing we simply worry too much about the embarrassing moments of learning and using. The fact of the matter is, we’ve already half mastered the most complex language in the world, English. But then again, my limited intelligence can easily be bashed by a true Lexiphile, a lover of words. Lexiphiles are next to impossible to converse with as they use giant words with minute meanings, making the English language sound foreign to even the best high school grad.
I grew up with English, but I’ll bet it’s not easy teaching it to someone. Here are a few of the reasons English is so difficult to comprehend. >The bandage was wound around the wound. >The farm was used to produce produce. >The dump was so full it had to refuse more refuse. >He could lead if he would get the lead out. >The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert. >Since there was no time like the present, he decided to present the present. >When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes. >The insurance was invalid for the invalid. >They were too close to the door to close it. >I had to subject the subject to a series of tests. >I did not object to the object. >Upon seeing a tear in the painting I shed a tear. >After a number of injections my jaw got number. >If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn’t the plural of booth, beeth? >One goose, two geese. One moose, two meese? >If you get rid of all but one of your odds and ends, is it an odd or an end? >Why do we ship by truck and send cargo by ship? >Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways? >Why do noses run and feet smell? Enough already!!
[1 John 4] I think most people view the church as a good thing, but it’s foreign to them and easily give up on any notion of learning more. Too often the church is tested by its physical properties and not it’s spiritual intent. The church is about developing a strong spiritual relationship with God and learning of his love for each and every one of us. The church is about developing a strong spiritual bond of love for one another as we struggle through this life. The church is about hope for the life after death promised by God, for those who learn of, and follow, His will. True baptized believers of Jesus, worship God in spirit and in truth according to God’s Word, the Bible. Learning of God’s will for man will bring your foreign spirit out into the open for you to enjoy in this life. A suppressed spirit cowers in fear, but immersed in God’s love, the spirit lives.

No comments: