Saturday, August 16, 2008

My Never Changing God

What a great rain we had the other night. What do you mean you didn’t get any? Yes, typical South Texas weather in August can bring about thunderstorms pouring rain on some, leaving others high and dry. We have a promise of a general all around rain pattern coming through next week, but I’ll believe it when I see it. The old timers say the weather isn’t anything like it used to be years ago. I tend to agree, not that I’m old, but it seems our winters aren’t as cold as they used to be, yet cold fronts are passing through in the middle of summer bringing rain from the northwest. Go figure. Am I the only one, or is it getting harder to stay current with the technical stuff of this world? I educate myself, but there’s so much going on it’s almost impossible to keep up. I thought I had this computer thing pretty much nailed down, but then I find myself lagging behind. I’ve had to upgrade my computers, again, because new programs are coming on DVD’s instead of CD’s and I don’t have DVD players. Have you seen the TV commercial about the generation that said it was never going to get old and it hasn’t? Well, I don’t feel old, but looking back in time can sure make a person think they’re old. I may not be able to keep up like I used to, but I’m still running a good race and hope to for a long time to come.
There was a young man who loved to play golf. He found himself with a few hours to spare one afternoon, so figured if he hurried he could get in nine holes before dark. Just as he was about to tee off an old gentleman shuffled onto the tee and asked if he could accompany the young man as he was golfing alone. Not being able to say no, he allowed the old gentleman to join him. To his surprise the old man played rather quickly. He didn’t hit the ball far, but plodded along, not wasting much time. Finally, they reached the ninth fairway, and the young man found himself with a tough second shot. There was a large pine tree right in front of his ball, directly between it and the green. After several minutes of figuring just how to make the shot, the old man piped up, “You know, when I was your age, I could hit the ball right over that tree.” With the gauntlet laid down, the youngster chose his club, swung hard, hit the ball up, right smack into the top of the tree, knocking it back to the ground where it rested not ten feet from where it had originally laid. The old man waited for the young man’s reaction, then offered one more comment, “Of course, when I was your age, that pine tree was only three feet tall.”
[ Hebrews 13: 8-9] “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by ceremonial foods, which are of no value to those who eat them.” One of the oxymorons of life is that we’re always looking for change, but we hate to change. We like stability, but seek excitement. God is not that way. God is love. (1 John 4: 8) What is love? Read 1 Corinthians, chapter 13. Love is powerful, yet gentle. Without love we have no life. Without loving we are nothing. We have been blessed with love, by God’s grace, through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Love does not change over time, nor can it be altered. Stability for me in this life is God’s truth and love. We cannot make God love us greater than He already does by developing new ceremonies and rituals. The world around me looms bigger and greater every day, but God never changes. I’m blessed to be old and wise enough to see God changing me.

No comments: