Sunday, April 05, 2009

It's Only The Devil

Have you ever had “one of those days”? How about “one of those weeks”? I know that’s a dumb question, because unless you live under a rock, you’ve experienced having everything going wrong in life all at once. It seems, when mechanical things want to break down, they all want to break down together. When illnesses come around none of us is exempt from sharing in the misery. Nor can any of us avoid the mind-boggling exploits of a computer problem. I was so there last week. I have upgraded all my work computers to accommodate some new programs and somewhere along the line, the newest of the computers decided it didn’t like what I was doing and refused to function. I had already cataloged a lot of material using the new program when the silly thing froze up. To make a long story short, a major file on the operating program was lost and by the time the computer was functioning again, all my previous work had been lost. My overconfidence in myself failed to remember that the computer is mechanical and for the first time in a long time, I had failed to back-up my work. However, what I want to tell you is this. Even though I’ve had “one of those weeks”, I haven’t really beat myself up for my stupid mistake, nor have I gotten overly excited, ragging bull angry, about the situation. I found someone to help me with the problem and I’m back on track again, lesson learned. In fact, I feel good about my reaction to this test of life. I guess maybe I’m still not too old to learn. I gave it all to the Lord and he found a way to bail me out.
A sergeant in charge of new recruits at the firing range ordered, “Men, when I blow the whistle, I want you to shoot at will.” One of the young men jumped up and began running across the field as fast as he could. “Who is that and where is he going?”, barked the sergeant. A young recruit volunteered, “That’s my friend Will, sir!”
Scientists have long recognized that bees are intelligent creatures. Many believe that this intelligence is the product of millions of years of natural selection. But the extremely fast learning ability of the bees puts in doubt the millions of years and instead shows the hand of the Creator. Researchers at Princeton University decided to find out if bees were smart enough to find their food source if it was moved. The researchers moved the bees prime food source fifty meters farther from the hive. In less than a minute the bees found it. They moved the food source another fifty meters away and again the bees found it in less than a minute. The researchers repeated the exact fifty meter move three more times documenting the same results. But, during the next fifty meter move they found that the bees had discovered the pattern of movement and were already waiting at the new location! No matter the problem, God is there to help.
[1 Peter 5: 6-9] Lately I’ve discovered the true meaning of, “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” (James 4:7) When things seem to be going awry I’ve discovered that, no matter how far away I’ve moved from the sinful world with study of God’s word and repentance of my lifestyle, the devil always finds me and tries me again. But, that’s okay. I’m now trying my best to recognize the evil one as soon as he shows up. I tell myself and others, “It’s only the devil trying to tear things up, again.” Peter says, “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” Resist evil, and live.

No comments: