Sunday, April 26, 2009

Too Far Removed?

I’ve always said that Washington is so far distanced from the real world that our leaders don’t have any idea what it’s really like to labor day after day. I, for one, am happy to see the sleeping giant (the silent majority) hosting “tea parties” all around the country, reminding our elected officials they work for us, not the other way around. I’m happy to see that common sense, honesty and integrity still reign, and have the power to expose corruption. Will we ever learn that the one with the most, is not the winner?
A rancher named Bud was overseeing his herd on a remote hillside pasture in Texas when suddenly a brand-new BMW coming down the road, with a large rolling cloud of dust trailing, stopped at where Bud was standing. The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses and YSL tie, leans out the window and asks the rancher, “If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?” Bud looks at the man, an obvious yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, “Sure, why not?” The young man gets out of his car, whips out his Dell Notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone and surfs to a NASA page on the internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location, which he feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra high-resolution photo. The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany. Within seconds he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry, and, after a few minutes, receives a response. Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report, on his hi-tech miniaturized HP LaserJet printer. He turns to the rancher and says’ “You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves.” “That’s right!, says Bud. “Well, I guess you can take one of my calves”. He watches the young man select one of the animals, and looks on with amusement as he stuffs the poor thing in the trunk of his car. Then Bud says to the young man, “Hey! If I can tell you exactly what your line of business is, will you give me back my calf?” The young man thinks about it for a moment, then says, “Sure, why not?” “You’re a Congressman for the U.S. Government”, says Bud with confidence. “WOW!”, says the yuppie, “But how did you guess that?” “No guessing required”, answered Bud. “You showed up here uninvited, wanting to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You tried to show me how much smarter than me you are, and don’t know a thing about cows. This is a herd of sheep! Now give me back my dog!!
[Proverbs 10:27-11:31] Has the “me” syndrome distanced you so far from God you’ve forgotten that one day you’ll stand before Him? I believe there isn’t a person alive that doesn’t believe in a supreme being, a creator. If there is, I want to see their reaction in a life or death situation. Anyway, most folks want to serve God, but only as advisors, unfortunately. I wish I could say the right things to convince people that God’s way of love, is the only way. Is it wrong to have things? No! Is it wrong to be greedy? Yes! Is it wrong to ignore the needs of others? YES!! Love doesn’t do these things! (1 Cor. 13: 4-8a) Love provokes pleasure in most people. Well, God is love. (1 John 4: 7-21)

No comments: