Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Love Of God

We’ve sure had some great weather lately. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve been enjoying the cooler temperatures, especially in the early morning hours. And who can complain about the wonderful rains we’ve been receiving? It’s obvious our daylight hours are getting shorter as we watch the sunrise heading south for the winter and it won’t be long, we’ll be messing with the time again. I guess it’s just human nature. We’re never satisfied with what we have and any excuse will do to change the circumstances in our lives, if for no other reason but for the sake of change. We’re not like the rest of nature. We get bored with the mundane daily routine and feel we have to spice things up to exhilarate and stimulate “me”. That’s what sets us apart, isn’t it.
A film crew was on location in the desert. One day an old Indian walked up to the director and said, “Tomorrow, storm.” The next day there was a hailstorm. “This Indian is incredible”, said the director. He instructed his secretary to hire the Indian to predict the weather for the remainder of the shoot. However, after several successful predictions, the old Indian didn’t show up for a week. Finally, the director sent for him. “I have to shoot a big scene tomorrow”, explained the director, “and I’m depending on you. What will the weather be like?” The Indian shrugged his shoulders, “Don’t know”, he said, “my radio is broken.” Be careful of what or who impresses you, because when it comes to predicting the future, especially the weather, only hindsight is perfectly clear.
[Hebrews 9: 27-28] Here’s a prediction of life from God’s Word of truth we can all depend on. “Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.” In the 23rd Psalm, David wrote of his dependence on God to help him throughout his life. “The Lord is my shepherd” …Relationship; “I shall not be in want” …Supply; “He makes me lie down in green pastures” …Rest; “He leads me beside quiet waters” …Refreshment; “He restores my soul” …Healing; “He guides me in paths of righteousness” …Guidance; “For His name’s sake” …Purpose; “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death” …Testing; “I will fear no evil” …Faithfulness; “For you are with me” …Protection; “Your rod and your staff, they comfort me” …Discipline; “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies” …Hope; “You anoint my head with oil” …Consecration; “My cup overflows” …Abundance; “Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life” …Blessings; “And I will dwell in the house of the Lord” …Security; “Forever” …Eternal Life! In the song, “The Love Of God” by Fredrick M. Lehman and his daughter, Claudia F. Mays, the last verse testifies to the truth of God. “Could we with ink the ocean fill, And were the skies of parchment made, Were every stalk on earth a quill, And every man a scribe by trade, To write the love of God above, Would drain the ocean dry. Nor could the scroll contain the whole, Though stretched from sky to sky.” If it were not for my proving the truths of God’s word day after day, finding a personal joy in life because of them, I would probably still be on my downward spiral spin into the abyss of eternal damnation. A daily righteous walk with God is far from boring. Try it!

No comments: