Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Twenty-Third Channel

Ooooo, what beautiful rains we’ve received. It’s been a long time since its rained any sort of measureable amount. Areas all around us have gotten a lot more rain than we have but the rain itself is a blessing. I could tell it was very much appreciated by everyone locally. How do I know, you ask? Well, I failed to see anyone running to escape the rain and avoid getting wet. Even when I was at the grocery store, nobody was running through the parking lot. In fact, it seemed most people were enjoying the rain walking from their vehicle to the store. I know I didn’t care how wet I got as I strolled from car to store and back again, all the while thanking God for all he blesses me with. I don’t know if we can call this rainy weather pattern a drought breaker or not, that we’ll have to wait on, but the grass and weeds sure have come alive. I think my grass has grown one inch over night and the weeds have shot up six inches. What seemed to be near unrecoverable dead vegetation has been resurrected with waters from heaven, which as we all know is much better than chlorinated well water from the city.
Not to change the subject, but I’m going to anyway, what in the world is happening to television? The whole country just finished spending millions of dollars converting to all digital transmission and reception of television airwaves and here I sit, like so many others, with 200 plus channels and nothing-worthwhile watching, most of the time. If it weren’t for the Discovery channels, car racing and an occasional good team sport match-up, I’d probably dump this whole satellite thing. It’s a shame what the entertainment industry is offering today. I don’t think there’s a program airing that isn’t locked into the “me” syndrome. The only consolation I gain any comfort from is the fact that at least there is still a message that crime has it’s punishment and bad guys do get caught.
I came across a little poem I’ve had for years, which I wish to share, titled, “The Twenty-Third Channel” The TV is my shepherd, my spiritual growth shall want. It maketh me to sit down and do nothing for His name’s sake, because it requireth all my leisure time. It keepeth me from doing my duty as a Christian because it presenteth so many good shows I must see. It restoreth my knowledge of the things of the world and keepeth me from the study of God’s word. It leadeth me in the paths of failing to attend worship and doing nothing in the Kingdom of God. Yea, though I live to be one hundred, I shall keep watching my TV as long as it will work, for it is my closest companion. It presenteth entertainment before me and keepeth me from doing important things with my family. It fills my head with ideas, which differ from those presented in the Word of God. Surely, no good thing will come of my life because of so many wasted hours, and I shall dwell in my remorse and bitter memories forever.
[Hebrews 6: 7-8] How much rain is falling on you? What kind of crop are you producing? Is it useful to others? If yes, the Hebrews writer says you will receive blessings from God. However, if what you’re taking into your brain, what you’re educating yourself with, is producing thorns and thistles, worthless to anyone, you’re in danger of being cursed and you could find yourself burned in the end. It always amazes me how productive, even the most dried up person you can think of, can become when the water of life, God’s truth, is applied to a fertile mind. God’s Word is entertaining too.

No comments: