Sunday, December 06, 2009

The Bride

If you know me very well you’ll know I’m not what you would call a celebrant of life. What I mean is, I don’t get all gooey over birthdays and anniversaries or Christmas or any of that stuff. I’m not really a “bah-hum-bug”, I just don’t place one day above another. Well, November and December are full of celebrate days for me, which, if I don’t watch out, I’ll smoke right on by some of them without thinking. Of course there’s Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Eve. The big meal I can do without, the decorating and un-decorating isn’t my thing and, believe it or not, I never made it a habit to party on New Years Eve. Now, there’s the fact that my wife’s birthday is in November and our wedding anniversary is in December, which keeps me on my toes remembering to celebrate two important days of the love in my life. Guy’s know what can happen if you forget those two days. Playing dumb doesn’t work here.
A guy walked into his friend’s office to find him sitting at his desk looking very depressed. “Hey, what’s up with you?” he asked. “Oh, it’s my wife”, the man replied. “She insisted on hiring my new secretary”. “That doesn’t sound so bad”, said the friend. “Is she blond or brunette?” “Neither”, he said sadly. “He’s bald.”
Most males don’t seem to get the point, no matter their age. While attending a Marriage Seminar, during a session dealing with communication, Joe and his wife Joyce listened to the instructor say, “It is essential that husbands and wives know each others likes and dislikes.” The instructor then hypothetically asked the men, “For instance, can you name your wife’s favorite flower?” Joe leaned toward Joyce touched her arm gently and whispered, “It’s Pillsbury, isn’t it?” A small boy, looking at his mother and father’s wedding pictures asked, “Dad, is this the day Mom came to work for us?”
A married couple was walking down the street and when they came to a mud puddle they just sort of clumsily negotiated around it. She looked at him and stated that he wasn’t as gallant as he was when she was a girl. He looked her in the eye with a grin on his face and told her she wasn’t as buoyant as she was when he was a boy.
Then there was the husband, the owner of a new car, who was somewhat reluctant to allow his wife to drive his prized possession, even to the grocery store just a few blocks away. Eventually he gave in, cautioning her as she was about to leave, “Remember, if you have an accident, the newspaper will print your age.”
He asked, “Will you love me when I’m old and feeble?” She said, “Of course I do.”
[Revelation 21] I’m not the perfect husband and I don’t think any man can claim to be. Neither is there a perfect wife, child or home, hence we will never live in a perfect community or warless world. A man in love gives his all to his bride and a woman in love strives to be pure and beautiful for her man. The bride of Christ is the church. John was shown the church by an angel as a beautiful city built with precious stones, gems and jewels. God, our creator and Jesus, the power of God, are the temple of the city (church) and the baptized obedient believers of the church worship there. The glory of God shines brightly in the city and Jesus is the truth bearer, the ruler, the head of the city (church). Are you a citizen of the Holy City, the church? Are you the bride awaiting her groom to arrive, the second coming of Christ? Is your name written in the Book of Life?

No comments: