Saturday, December 12, 2009

Perfection Does Not Exist

As an automobile mechanic for many years, I had seen the good, the bad and the ugly of owners and how they treated their vehicles. Some people can drive a vehicle for years and it still looks nearly showroom new. Most people will own a vehicle only a couple of years, use it hard, but keep it mechanically sound and reliable. Then there are some people who can tear up a brand new automobile in as little as one year. They are also the same people who call it a piece of junk blaming the manufacturer for not making it indestructible. As for me, a vehicle becomes like a good comfortable pair of shoes and I probably put too much time and money in an automobile. My average relationship with my daily transportation is about ten years and I like the challenges that come with maintaining a vehicle that long, most of the time. I really haven’t turned a wrench on my present vehicle for some time until I decided to change the engine water pump, which by the way had been leaking for several weeks. I knew the job wouldn’t be simple, it seems nothing on transverse engines is. To make a long story short, it takes several hours to complete the job at hand and believe me it also takes patience. Why? Because this is also one job I don’t want to do over again. On top of a little frustration that naturally comes with mechanical repairs, my work area is open to the elements on one side and the weather turned sour with cold temps and light rain, which tends to chill one to the bone. That’s when I find it hard to keep a good attitude about what I’m doing. However, perseverance is a very healthy trait to have and the vision to see the “light at the end of the tunnel” can overshadow weariness and doubt. I got the job done with no leaks, no drips and no errors. When I spend two days fixing my vehicle I also realize the blessing of being a two-car family, but my wife’s car fits me like new shoes I need to wear a while to break in, know what I mean? It feels good to be back in my own vehicle.
A friend asked a gentleman how it is he never married. “Well, I guess I never met the right woman,” replied the gentleman. “I guess I’ve been looking for the perfect woman.” “Oh come on now,” said the friend, “surely you’ve met at least one girl that you wanted to marry.” “Yes, there was one girl, probably the only perfect girl I ever met,” he admitted. “She was just the right everything. I really mean she was the perfect girl for me.” “Well, why didn’t you marry her then,” asked the friend? “I suppose it’s because she was looking for the perfect man”, he confessed.
[Romans 12} “…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus…” This is the time of year when many people contemplate the possibility of, “getting right with God”. I applaud you if you are considering taking on this effort to maintain a better lifestyle. Please don’t attach the amendment, “as soon as I get my life straightened out”, to your declaration. God is not seeking perfect people to save. God is seeking the broken-hearted sinner. You are not perfect and you never will be in this life. I’d be a liar if I told you all your problems are going to melt away, but I can tell you with confidence, Jesus is the light at the end of the tunnel and God’s Word, the Bible, is our guide to the finish line. A righteous life is not maintenance free, but perseverance will keep you spiritually healthy, forever. It’s faith in God’s love that is life changing.

No comments: