Saturday, September 11, 2010

All I Hear Is Buzzing

I wonder if the insect world gets as annoyed with buzzing cicadas as we sometimes do with barking dogs. There’s nothing worse than flip flopping in bed because of a barking dog in the neighbor’s backyard, which happens to be right under your bedroom window. The prehistoric urge to kill boils up in thought, but a simple “shut up – go lay down” generally quiets the pup and a word with the neighbor solves the problem. I wonder what a spider does when a cicada moves in next door for a week or two. All that buzzing would drive me crazy. Cicadas live underground for up to fifteen years, supposedly, living on tree root fluids. The mature cicada digs its way to the surface to date and mate for two weeks, and then dies. By the way, the male cicada is the one making all the noise trying to attract a female’s attention. My bunkmate took up making strange noises in her sleep a few years ago, I probably do the same, but it was enough to wake me often in the night. Earplugs have solved the problem, but now I don’t hear the alarm clock. Going to sleep at night and waking in the morning is getting complicated with age. I’m still getting up on my own, that’s a plus for sure.
Diet and exercise seems to be the buzz everywhere today. A secretary engaged in such a conversation said, “I’ve started a new exercise program. I do 20 sit-ups each morning.” The others in the group didn’t seem impressed. She continued, “That may not sound like a lot, but you can only hit the snooze button so many times.”
Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey, but I’d bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away in about 1.7 seconds, still half asleep, eyes closed, the first time and every time after that. Amazing!
[2 Chronicles 7:14] “…if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and forgive their sin and will heal their land.” This is what the Lord said to Solomon about the use of the temple. “…But if you turn away and forsake the decrees and commands I have given you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, then I will uproot you from my land.” “…When people ask why has the Lord done such a thing to this land and to this temple; People will answer, ‘Because they have forsaken the Lord, the God of their fathers; …and have embraced other gods worshipping and serving them, that is why he has brought all this disaster on them’” (v. 19-22) 1 Corinthians 3: 16-17 says, “Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is sacred, and you are that temple.” Which case do you think God will recognize as a genuine plead for the healing of our land? 1 – Become a raving fool calling for the burning of a certain group of believer’s book of rites, in the name of God or, 2 - Become a humble dedicated believer in the power of prayer and know that God will do the heavy work. All our complaining and bickering and scheming, trying to solve our political problems is nothing but buzzing in the ear of God. Do you love our land enough to pray for it? If we don’t start petitioning God, the foundation of this country, according to his will not ours, God will uproot us rather than heal us. Put your gods aside for one minute and pray to God for healing peace.

No comments: