Saturday, September 04, 2010

Wicked and Lazy

I’m certainly glad that’s over with! August I mean. The month of August has a way of bringing the laziness out in me, big time. I think I remember something about the dog days of summer and if they’re in August, I guess that’s why this dog doesn’t hunt in the heat. When the thermometer grows to 90 degrees I start slowing down and when it tops 100 degrees you’ll find me under the porch taking a nap with Rover. The problem with taking the month of August off is that the housework suffers severely. I took inventory the other day and discovered I had tree limbs on the ground, grass growing tall and the house air conditioner giving up under the pressure. As Charlie Brown would say, “AWK”! I’ll soon have to get up off my lazy side and get back to my domestic chores as it’s rumored a cold-front and a little rain is headed our way.
A new attorney in town had just opened up his office. He was concerned about building a clientele and as he heard someone at the door, then saw it opening, he grabbed up the phone receiver thinking that he must impress this prospective client that he was busy. Pretending he had someone on the phone he said, “Well, I’m very sorry, but it will be at least two weeks, due to my present case load, before I could possibly take your case.” He put down the receiver and asked the man now standing in front of his desk, “Yes sir, and what can I do for you?” The man grinned and said, “I’m here to hook up your phone.”
A man left work one Friday afternoon, but instead of going home he stayed out the whole weekend playing golf with the boys and spending his entire paycheck. Sunday night, when he finally appeared at home, he was confronted by his very angry wife who barraged him for nearly two hours with a tirade for his actions. Finally his wife stopped the nagging and simply said to him, “How would you like it if you didn’t see me for two or three days?” To which the husband replied, “That would be fine with me.” Monday went by and he didn’t see his wife. Tuesday went by and he didn’t see his wife. Wednesday brought the same results. Then on Thursday the swelling went down enough he could see her just a little out of the corner of one eye.
After the sermon, a gentleman came up to the preacher and said, “My wife said I should come apologize to you. I guess I was rude. I talked all the way through your sermon. But I really didn’t mean to. It’s just that sometimes I talk in my sleep.”
[Matthew 25: 14-30] “…And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” We have all been given talents and blessings that God expects us to work with to bring about a return in his name. Most people don’t give it a second thought to use their talents and blessings in the name of our Lord to teach the truth of God. Instead they use them only to their own benefit not thinking of the welfare of others along the way. Is it okay to gain from your talents and blessings? You bet. God has nothing against gain, but he does have a problem when we forget where it came from and we call it “mine”. Are you a Christian, a child of God? Are you using your talents and blessings to rescue others from this sinful world? Do you hide your talents and blessings for fear of making an embarrassing mistake or losing part of what “belongs” to you? The master said to that person, “You wicked, lazy servant!” I’d rather make mistakes and lose it all, than be called wicked and lazy.

No comments: