Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Year, New Goals

Here we are already plunged into another year of uncertainty yet pressing forward with plans and ideas to better our way of life. I know I’m not alone when I say I have a list of things I wish to accomplish throughout this year. My goals for the year vary from “I’d like to do this or that” to “I’ve got to get this or that done without fail”. It still doesn’t mean all of my goals will get fulfilled, because it seems without fail, circumstances of life change our focus and direction sometimes on a daily bases. I try to be careful with my goals, to make them challenging but not impossible to reach. And, as good as I feel about my goals, I have to remind myself I’m not a failure if when I look back on 2011, I haven’t checked off everything on my list. I always look back on life and ask myself, “Did you live a respectable life last year?” I think that’s where we all start a new year, wanting to be a better person. Living healthier and refining relationships are generally on the top of most lists and unfortunately are among the first to get pushed aside. Nevertheless, I try to work my goals as long as I can, because it feels so good to have a promise to ones self blossom and grow.
A sign in an office window read, “Help Wanted. Must type 70 words a minute; Must be computer literate and bilingual; Equal Opportunity Employer. A dog was ambling down the street and saw the sign. He looked at it for a moment then pulled it down with his mouth and walked into the manager’s office. The office manager laughed and said, “I can’t hire a dog for this job.” The dog pointed to the line, “Equal Opportunity Employer”. So the manager said, “OK, type this letter for me.” The dog sat at the computer and a minute later had a finished perfectly formatted letter. The manager wasn’t convinced. “I still can’t hire you for the position. You have to be bilingual.” The dog looked up at the manager and said, “Meow.”
“Congratulations Mr. Smith. I think we have finally and completely cured you of your delusion.” said the Psychiatrist. “Thanks, I guess”, answered Mr. Smith grimly. “So, what’s wrong? Why are you so depressed?” asked the psychiatrist. “Wouldn’t you be down if one day you were the President and the next day you’re nobody?"
“Now how many of you would like to go to heaven?” asked the Sunday school teacher. All the eager three-year-olds raised their hands except Helen. “I’m sorry, I can’t. My mommy told me to come right home today after Sunday school.”
[Proverbs 23] (v4&5) “Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.” (v12) “Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge.” (v17&18) “Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord. There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.”(v23) “Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding.” The Proverbs are amazing writings. When I read them I can see myself as I was, as I am, and as whom I can become. The strength and guidance I need to live day to day comes from God’s Word. I have been lifted from the debts of despair and sinful living to a height of hope and righteous living. My greatest goal every day is to please God in all I do and say. I occasionally fail, but I refuse to give up. My trust and my riches are in the Lord, who will deliver me from sin.

No comments: