Saturday, February 12, 2011

Who Am I?

“Who Am I?” I cost the U. S. economy over $100 billion each year. I contribute to 83% of fire deaths; 73% of aggravated assaults; 70% of sexual abuse (including rape and incest); 69% of all drownings; 54% of violent crimes; half of all murders, fatal car accidents, and spousal abuse; 40% of child abuse deaths; I am a part of the most frequently committed crime in the nation today – a crime committed more than three times as much as all other violent crimes combined. I help kill, in a single year, more than all who were killed during the entire Vietnam War. In fact, I am more powerful than all the combined armies of the world. I have destroyed more men than all the wars of all nations. I massacre thousands every year. I am more deadly than bullets, and I have wrecked more homes than all adulterers and adulteresses in the world. I spare none. I find victims among the rich and the poor, the young and the old, the strong and the weak. Widows know me to their everlasting sorrow. I loom so large that I can cast my shadow over every field of labor. I am everywhere – in the home, on the streets, in the factory, on land, air and sea. I lurk in unseen places and do most of my work silently, slowly. I am relentless, merciless and cruel. I take food from the mouths of hungry children and fill their eyes with tears as I break their flesh and bones and hearts. I enslave millions. Everywhere I go I bring sickness and sorrow, shame and humiliation, degradation and death. Yet people embrace me and allow me to bring them misery and ruin. Few dare to oppose me. I can take from you everything you have, including your soul. I may be your worst enemy.
I’ve been real disappointed of late with the drug and alcohol situation that has been slowly and quietly developing in our community. I can’t plead innocence in this area nor do I want to come across as a prohibitionist, but lives, families and careers are being destroyed at an alarming rate by the abuse of drugs and alcohol. The description of “Who am I” deals only with alcohol abuse in this country alone. The statistics do not include the rest of the world nor do they reflect the decimating effects of drug abuse throughout the world today. If you think I’m an alarmist, making a mountain out of an ant hill, you need to crawl out from under the rock you’re living. “We need to legalize marijuana. That way the abuse problem will minimize itself.” Believe that lie and all that will happen is usage will double and triple. Legalize gambling and the same will happen. Our privileged lifestyles and the USA as we know it today I’m afraid will soon be destroyed by ignorance and greed. Responsibility and pride are falling from grace and while the buzzard grows in strength the eagle finds no secure place to build a nest.
[Luke 12: 1-12] “…For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” (Ephesians 6: 12) We are all at war every day and too many people are surrendering to the enemy because of their lack of knowledge to the presence and power of God. You are worth more to God than anyone in this world. His love and concern for your welfare is greater than anyone in this world. For those who hold a strong and true commitment of faith and love in the Lord Jesus Christ, God the Father watches over and gives strength to battle evil day after day. God is big enough to rule the universe, yet small enough to live in your heart.

No comments: