Sunday, February 06, 2011

Sensible Tune-Up

It’s amazing how the senses sometimes react to the environment. You know what I mean, a sound can raise an alert feeling not experienced in years or a smell will arouse a memory not thought of for decades. The winter weather has that sort of effect on me, especially when it gets real cold like this past week. The good thing about living in South Texas though, I don’t have to dwell on those thoughts but for only a few days until it’s warm again. I never did like the winters I grew up in and when I discovered it didn’t snow somewhere in the world, I stayed. The blizzards the northeast portions of the country are experiencing this year I have memories of that make me shutter. I wish I had a dollar for every pound of snow I shoveled; I’d be living in the Bahamas’. I got some of the work done on my van before this super cold weather hit. I had a small coolant leak (a bad hose), which I knew would give me a big problem if I didn’t fix that, but the tune-up isn’t done yet. That brought back a memory of working on cars as a teen. We would load up the garage at night and turn the heat up to melt all the ice and snow off the cars to be worked on the next day. I don’t want to go back there. Already the days are getting longer and the weather will soon cooperate getting me in the mood to work on that tune-up. I hope I get it done before it’s too Texas hot to work outside.
If this brings memories back, you’re old partner! The C.R. Gleason Co. of Bottineau, North Dakota mailed a penny postcard simply addressed, Chester Bjorngaard, Maxbass, ND, postmarked June 29, 1928. It read: Dear Sir, We’re writing this letter to you today because we want you to get your money out of your Model T. It’s still as good a car as it was the day the new Model A Ford was announced and there’s no need to sacrifice it. The Model T Ford is still used by more people than any other automobile. Eight million are in active service right now and many of them can be driven one, two, three and five years and even longer. Bring your car to us and let us look it over. You’ll be surprised to see how little it costs to put it in tip-top shape. New fenders, for instance, cost from $3.50 to $5.00 each, with a labor charge of $1.00 to $2.50. Tuning up the motor and changing the commutator case, brush and vibrator points costs only $1.00, with a small charge for material. Brake shoes can be installed and emergency brakes equalized for a labor charge of only $1.25. A labor charge of $4.00 to $5.00 will cover the overhauling of the front axle, rebushing springs and spring perches, and straightening, aligning and adjusting wheels. The labor charge for overhauling the average rear axle runs from $5.75 to $7.00. Grinding valves and cleaning carbon can be done for $3.00 to $4.00. A set of four new pistons and rings costs only $7.00. For a labor charge of $20.00 to $25.00 you can have your motor and transmission completely overhauled. Parts are extra. Very truly yours.
[Hebrews 13: 8] “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” The world and its inhabitants are in constant change. What applies today may not tomorrow and what is only dreamt of today could very well be reality tomorrow. One constant I can always rely on – God will never change. When I think about it, God has no reason to change anything. What God has done, has been done to perfection and needs no modifying. Any time of season in life is the time to tune-up with the Word of God, to help you run as smooth as possible and get all you can out of life, and the life to come.

No comments: