Sunday, July 10, 2011

America, An Object of Ridicule?

I think we all have something in our life that irritates us to no end. For some people it’s other drivers on the road. For some it’s standing in long lines that don’t seem to move very fast. Maybe what lights the fire under your pressure cooker is whining, misbehaving children sitting at the table next to yours in a restaurant. Isn’t it funny the things you think when your frustration level peaks? Malfunctioning mechanical things that I use all the time, but can’t fix, are my near breaking point. I love to fix things as to replace them, but in this modern throw-away-world it’s getting harder and harder for an honest tinkerer to find any satisfaction in his work. At the moment I’m dealing with the horizontal hold on my man cave TV. I’ve gotten tired of hitting the side of the set with my hand and have moved on to hitting the sweet spot with a chunk of petrified wood, normally used as a paper-weight. It’s getting harder to persuade the reluctant circuit board to straighten up and perform as designed by sending a mini earthquake shock through it with the paperweight. Love-taps have turned into multiple hammering on the idiot box until the picture fills the screen again. I hope I don’t do what I dream of doing before our new Wal-Mart opens. Patience will be rewarded with an upgrade.
Another thing that tends to boil my pot is the nonchalant handling of money and the miss-management of finances. Customer: “Hey! You gave me the wrong change.” Cashier: “Sir, you stepped away from the counter. There’s nothing I can do about it now.” Customer: “I just thought you might like to know you gave me twenty dollars too much, but I guess there’s nothing we can do about it now.”
Two fellows opened a butcher shop and prospered. An evangelist came through town and one of the two butchers was converted. The now obedient Christian butcher tried desperately to convert the other, but to no avail. He asked, “Why won’t you, Charlie?” The reply was... “Listen Lester, if I get religion too, who’s going to weigh the meat?”
A Sunday school teacher was teaching her class about the differences between right and wrong. “All right children, let’s take another example”, she said. “If I were to get into a man’s pocket and take his billfold with all his money without him knowing, what would I be?” With confidence, little Johnny immediately shouted, “You’d be his wife!”
[Psalm 9; Psalm 33] The exterminator called one of his clients; “I’m very sorry to tell you this, Mrs. Lee, but your check just came back, insufficient funds.” “I guess we’re even then”, she replied. “So did those ants you promised me you had driven out of my house forever.” The morals of this country are deteriorating by the generation and it’s not due to lack of resources. Our education system is failing to instill proper moral and ethic deductive reasoning into the minds of the young people who will one day own this country. The omission of the Christian religion and the teaching of God’s Word in basic education has brought US to the brink of bankruptcy and world-wide shame. “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8) “But if you turn away and forsake the decrees and commands I have given you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, then I will uproot [America] from my land, which I have given them, and will reject this [Washington] I have consecrated for my Name. I will make it a byword and an object of ridicule among all peoples” (2 Chronicles 7:19-20) Is this truly the America you want your grandchildren to live in?

No comments: