Saturday, July 16, 2011

Corn Mileage

I don’t work the automotive scene any longer, but I do understand what the manufacture is going through trying to keep up with government regulations. Things just don’t make sense anymore. For instance, gas mileage is a must these days. Since 1970 when gas was $.20 a gallon, until now, we have seen gas guzzling mandates added to our vehicles such as EGR valves, catalytic converters, revamped A/C systems that need more horsepower (by the way, the auto A/C system is being completely revamped again and it will need even more horsepower to operate it) and if all this is wasn’t enough to hold gas mileage down we now have to put up with corn ethanol which lowers you mileage average even more. And why does gas keep going up? It costs a fortune to produce ethanol! It also produces more pollutants in production than it eliminates burning in your engine. They say we’re running out of petroleum. So why keep developing products that make us use more gas? The Environmental Protection Agency is as much out of control as the rest of our government. We should have been developing electric vehicles over thirty years ago. Today we would all be driving one.
One day while his class was in the lab, the chemistry professor noticed one young man, an exchange student, repeatedly rubbing his back and stretching as if his back was really hurting him. The Prof asked the young man what was the matter. The student told him he had a bullet lodged in his back. He had been shot while fighting communists in his native country who were trying to overthrow his country’s government and install a new communist regime. In the midst of his story he asked the professor a strange question, “Do you know how to catch wild pigs?” The Prof thought it was a joke and asked for the punch line. The young man said it was no joke. “You catch them by finding a suitable place in the wild and putting corn on the ground. The pigs find it and start coming everyday to eat the free corn. Then you put a fence up along one side of the place and keep the corn coming. Then when the pigs are used to the short fence, add another side and so on until all four sides are fenced and the pigs are coming through a gate at one end of the place to eat free corn. Then, you slam the gate on them and catch the whole herd. Suddenly the wild pigs have lost their freedom. They discover they are caught and start running around inside the fence looking for a way out. Soon they go back to eating the free corn. They are so used to it they have forgotten how to forage for themselves, so they accept their captivity.” The young man then told the professor that is exactly what he sees happening in America. I’ll let you figure out where the free corn is, and the legislative walls that are going up all around.
[Matthew 11: 28-30] I’m so glad that my God is not working on ulterior motives to frustrate me even more than life itself. I know exactly what to expect at the end of this life because through His Word, Jesus and the Bible, I can read and understand what my God expects of me in this life and how to prepare myself for the kind of life I want to experience after death. Jesus says I can learn from him and I can understand and above all I can remember what He teaches. That’s the same for everyone. The rules and qualifications for salvation are the same for everybody and they will never change over time. I don’t know how many more miles I have to travel in this life, but I do know my mileage continues to increase as I continue to clean up my life and live in His way.

No comments: