Sunday, September 18, 2011

Repentance Intervention

I took a few days off last week, joining my siblings and other family members for a little reunion. My elder sister organized it and for a change we got to enjoy one another in a different way than in the past ten years or so, as no one was sick nor were we about to bury a loved one. It seems my sister was always tending to logistics of the situation that brought us together and never had the time to relax and just be her self. Well, in a round-about way she suggested we leave our problems at home and come to enjoy a walk down memory lane as a family and friends. She had inherited all the stuff our parents had held dear to them, mostly photos, and as we went through them we even discovered things about the family we never knew. It was a great four days together and I enjoyed myself, except for one thing. You’d think at my age I would at least know to watch where I’m going, especially in a strange environment. While spending the afternoon at my nephew’s house, I was walking one way and looking another, and when I decided it was time to check my bearings, I turned to look and, WHAM! I walked straight into a spiral stairway bustin’ my head open. I did as good a job as any ten-year-old could and panic spread throughout the house like a wildfire. I had no intentions of sitting for hours in a Houston hospital ER waiting for stitches so talked my brother, a retired Navy Corpsman and civilian PA, into closing and patching the wound the best he could. Yeh, leave it up to me to liven up the party.
Leaving home was a little nerve racking as we’ve been experiencing a rash of burglaries in the area, but I left the homestead in the hands of the Lord, which worked out just fine. Everything was just as we left it, still no rain and the politicians are still out for themselves. One more of my predictions came to fruition. America’s Got Talent contestant, Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. won the top prize and well deserved it. “Silhouettes” came in second, but “iLuminated”, third place, was a much better presentation for me. Nevertheless, the show is nutty, goofy and great, just what the typical American family needs to be watching as an alternative to deceit, violence and spit in the Lord’s eye shows. I personally refuse to watch most of what’s on the four major networks. Pay TV was laughable in the ‘60’s, but soul saving in this present day.
[James 4: 13 - 5: 6] In the book, “Once Blind - The Life of John Newton” by Kay Marshall Storm, John perceived slave trading a sin and feared God’s wrath upon England because of it. His fight to abolish slave trading, standing on his own foundation of repentance and belief in God’s Word, John Newton had this warning for the Parliament of his day: “It is righteousness that exalts a nation, and wickedness is the present reproach, and will, sooner or later, unless repentance intervene, prove the ruin of any people.” We need to push the ACLU and like organizations attempting to abolish Christianity in this country aside, and instead of covering up references to God and Country in Washington and other capitals, we ought to be polishing them so they gleam in the eyes of our elected officials reminding them of how this country was born and who is truly maintaining her presence in the world. If no intervening of repentance is forthcoming, our grandchildren will not enjoy our freedoms. Our situation is not hopeless if put in the hands of God. “God saved me so that people would look at me and say, ‘If God could save John Newton, (your name?) He can save anyone.” Amen.

No comments: