Sunday, January 01, 2012

Improve By Reviewing

By all indications, the year 2012 is going to be a bumpy ride. The world has some more leaders posturing to be noticed as the new bully in the neighborhood. When, not if, push comes to shove, who knows what will happen between the countries of the world. I think a little less strutting and a lot more “Tebowing” could be in order this year because we could definitely use some heavenly intervention for our world leaders, including right here at home. The economic crisis is far from over and what the world governments and stock markets are getting away with would put you and me in an irresolute credit condition and bankruptcy. In fact, if I operated my household the way most governments operate their country, I would probably be prosecuted to the fullest and spend a lot of time in jail. This election year could, no I think will, make or break the USA as we know it today. If you like the lifestyle of freedom and independent thinking we all enjoy in this country, we better get on our knees this year and beg God for some leaders that are willing to heal our land, not inflict more pain with power.
Two buddies decided to go duck hunting. Neither one of them had ever been duck hunting before. After several hours they still hadn’t bagged any. One hunter turned to the other and said, “I just don’t understand it. Why aren’t we getting any ducks?” His friend replied, “I told you, I don’t think we’re throwing the dog high enough!”
A blonde was sick and tired of people making fun of her for being a blonde, so decided to hang herself. A few minutes later a couple of men walked by and saw her hanging by her wrists. “What are you doing?” they asked her. “Hanging myself”, she replied. Confused, the men said, “Usually, people hang themselves by the neck.” The blonde replied, “Duh! I tried that, but I couldn’t breathe!”
A young man agreed to baby-sit for a couple so they could have an evening out. At bedtime he sent the youngsters upstairs to bed and settled down to watch football. One child kept creeping down the stairs and the young man kept sending him back to bed. At 9 p.m. the doorbell rang. It was the next door neighbor asking if her son was there. “No”, answered the sitter. Just then a head appeared over the upstairs banister and in a voice of panic the child said, “I’m here Mom, but he won’t let me go home!”
[Matthew 16: 23-27] I have made a resolute decision this year to not make any New Year’s resolutions. Doh! I just made one! What I really feel I want to do this year is review and improve on that which I did last year. Sounds like a good plan to me. …Have I been faithful to the Lord this past year in the use of my time, resources and abilities? Spiritually speaking, how will I improve this year? Do I have hidden sins in my life that I need to purge in order to please God? Am I seeking first His kingdom or my own well-being? Who have I tried to bring to Christ this past year? Whose soul will I try to save this year? Have I fallen into the trap of allowing trivial matters to consume most of my time and distract me from issues of eternal significance? Did I set a good example in the recent year for how to live as a Christian? What spiritual goals will I work to achieve spiritual growth this new year? Am I too busy with the things of this world? There are certainly other questions that could be raised but these should give all of us something to think about and consider. So, are you going to allow the troubles of the world to consume your life or seek the kingdom that promises love and life eternal?

No comments: