Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Cowboy's Christmas Prayer

      “…Aaand their off!” Like thoroughbred’s exploding from the starting gate, holiday shoppers raced to be first in line for the limited supply, special buys, offered on “Black Friday”. I used to be an alpha perfectionist in everything I did, resulting in finding fault in everything everybody else did, but I never got over the top crazy wanting to fight over a parking space at WalMart. I have been known to wave a few gestures of expression and use some unsavory language while unloading my disgruntled feelings toward a fellow alpha, but it was generally with the windows rolled up and my wife grabbing my arm, pulling it down out of sight. My bark has always been more intrusive than my bite, because I learned very young, when you bite, you generally get bitten. Well anyway, I’ve never gotten involved in the buying frenzy of the holidays, and what I read and hear and see on TV is frightening. It makes no sense to me that people are willing to fight one another, in an exhibition of terror and hate, to purchase an item that they claim will be given to someone in love. Like the insurance commercial running on TV lately says, “The greatest danger we face in this world is other people”, a fact with an abundance of witness. Self-centeredness does not compliment our love for others.

      Sometimes it’s a simply life that shows love and gives thanks best. “A Cowboy’s Christmas Prayer” “…I ain’t much good at prayin’, and you may not know me, Lord; I ain’t much seen in churches when they preach thy Holy Word. But you may have observed me, out here on the lonely plains, a lookin’ after cattle, feelin’ thankful when it rains; Admirin’ thy great handiwork, the miracle of grass, aware of thy kind spirit in the way it comes to pass; That hired men on horseback and the livestock that we tend, can look up at the stars at night and know we’ve got a friend. So, here’s ol’ Christmas comin’ on, remindin’ us again, of Him whose comin’ brought good will into the hearts of men. A cowboy ain’t no preacher, Lord, but if you’ll hear my prayer, don’t let no hearts be bitter, Lord; don’t let no child be cold. Make easy beds for them that’s sick, and them that’s weak and old; Let kindness bless the trail we ride, no matter what we’re after; And sort of keep us at your side, in tears as well as laughter. I’m just a sinful cowpoke, Lord, ain’t got no business prayin’, but still I hope you’ll ketch a word, or two of what I’m sayin’. There ain’t no Merry Christmas for nobody that ain’t free, so one thing more I’ll ask you, Lord, just help us what you can, to save some seeds of freedom, for the future sons of man.”

      [3 John 9-10] In John’s letter to Gaius, he writes there is a man in the church there named Diotrephes, who is refusing to welcome God’s messengers. “…Diotrephes, who loves to be first, will have nothing to do with us” (the Apostles). He is “…gossiping maliciously about us. Not satisfied with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers. He also stops those who want to do so and puts them out of the church.” Being first and always having your own way is very damaging to the spirit of others. “Do not put out the Spirit’s fire…” (1 Thessalonians 5: 12-19) Don’t be spoilin’ God’s party.

      [Luke 17: 11-19] Ten men with leprosy met Jesus on the road and begged him to have pity on them. As they did what Jesus instructed to do, they were healed. One out of the ten men returned to thank Jesus for his healing. God has given us his Son, yet in our “celebration”, we put ourselves first, and fail to give thanks for the greatest of gifts.



No comments: