Sunday, December 16, 2012

Crazy or Lacking Love?

      Artist, Billy Currington, wrote a song titled, “People Are Crazy” and the first verse reminds me of days past. “This old man and me, were at a bar and we, were having us some beers and swappin’ ‘I don’t cares’; Talking politics, blonde and redhead chicks; Old dogs and new tricks, and habits we ain’t kicked. We talked about God’s grace, and all the hell we raised. Then I heard the old man say, ‘God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.’” A few years back NASCAR driver Michael Waltrip used a twist on the song when asked what he thought about before races, especially at the Daytona and Talladega tracks, knowing there will be a big wreck sometime during those races. He said the best possible way he could avoid being involved in what has come to be known as, “the big one”, is to remember, “God is great, Fear is good, and Drivers are crazy.” The more I watch video clips of some of the things people do, “just for kicks”, the more I’m convinced some people are “crazy”. I know very little about twenty-year-old Adam Lanza, but I suspect I’ll learn a lot more in the coming week. My thoughts at the moment are, “…let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins” (1 John 4:7-12). If death and destruction continue to be the educator of right and wrong, more of these tragedies will occur. God is great, Fear His wrath, Love, as He loves us.


      [Luke 1:26-38 & Romans 12:1-2] The more I learn of God, the healthier my fear of disappointing Him becomes, which moves me to forgive and serve others in love, the same love God shows me every day. “…Greetings, you (Mary) who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” If an angel of God showed up and spoke to me I’d probably jump right out of my skin. I have to tell you though, I often find it hard to contain my emotions when reading and learning of God, for I’m not deserving of His love, or His promises. Knowing the life changing experiences of ridicule and shame she would be facing, Mary said to the angel, “I am the Lord’s servant …May it be to me as you have said.” I’m not perfect, never will be, and I’m a long ways away from being the innocent naïve young teenager I once was. Not that I haven’t always feared God and His impending wrath for my sins and disobedience, it wasn’t until I resigned my life to become a servant of God, was the Lord able to start changing me from the inside out. Some say, “Well, that’s your job!” It’s not my job. It’s my duty, as it is for every human being on the face of this planet that has received life from God. Mary was willing to sacrifice her all to give birth to “…the Son of the Most High”, because God asked her to do it for him. All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Jesus (Matthew 28:16-20). He commands those who are serving the Lord, to teach and give birth to new babes in Christ, that they also will serve God, and their fellow man, in forgiveness and love, following in the footprints of Jesus. I don’t know why Adam Lanza did what he did, but I do know it was pure evil that visited Sandy Hook Elementary School, not God. There was no love in what he did and it will take a lot of love and forgiveness to soothe the pain. Pray for Newtown, and the souls seeking God.

No comments: