Sunday, December 30, 2012

Keep God In Mind

      Well, it’s time to forget about all those things you promised yourself to accomplish in 2012 and get ready for lucky 13. If you’re superstitious I have good news for you. You’ve already experienced the thirteenth year of this century, so you have no excuses of being unlucky this new year. In recent conversation, my grandson said, “I can’t believe a whole year has gone by already.” Where have I heard that before? He’s 21 years-old and life is just now gearing up for him. I replied with the typical grand-parent answer, “The older you get the faster the years will fly by. Make the most of them while you’re young.” Where have I heard that one before. Here I am, old enough to pass on echoes of generational wisdom with experience and authority to back it up.


      Have you noticed that stairs are getting steeper, groceries are heavier, and, everything is farther away? I walked to the corner the other day and I was dumbfounded to discover how long our street had become. You know, people are less considerate now days, especially the young ones. They speak in whispers all the time. If you ask them to speak-up they just keep repeating themselves, endlessly mouthing the same silent message until they’re red in the face. What do they think I am, a lip reader? I also think they’re much younger than I was at the same age. On the other hand, people my age are much older than I am. I ran into an old friend the other day and she has aged so much she didn’t even recognize me. I got to thinking about the poor dear while I was combing my hair this morning and looking at my own reflection I discovered mirrors aren’t made like they used to be. Another thing; people drive so fast these days. They must wear out their brakes awfully fast the way I see them screeching and swerving in my rearview mirror. Clothing manufacturers are less civilized these days. Why else would they be labeling my small shirts as large and my thirty inch pant waist, thirty-eight. Bathroom scale manufacturers are pulling the same prank. I just don’t believe the digital number on the display, because I would never let myself weigh that much. I can’t even call someone in authority to complain about all this, because even the telephone company is in on the conspiracy; printing the phonebook in such small lettering no one could ever find a number in it. I never saw this unconscionable attack coming and unless something drastic happens, pretty soon everyone will have to suffer these awful indignities. I thought you aught to know.

      [Genesis 1] God made the heavens and the earth and all that are in them, including you and me. “…God saw all he had made, and it was very good” (V.31). As we promise ourselves to once again strive to live a more righteous life only to become discouraged when once again we discover life doesn’t always go as planned, remember these three great truths. 1. God has a purpose for your life: God said, “…If you listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you” (Exodus 15:26). 2. God wants to provide for you: Jesus said, “…But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:25-34). 3. God is lovingly ever present in your life: “…because God said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you’” (Hebrews 13:5). Fulfill your 2013 plans with God in mind.



No comments: