Saturday, March 23, 2013

In The Valleys I Grow


      I’ve been burning up the highway of late, running to the big city, mainly for doctor appointments. I do my best to get appointments as early in the morning as possible where my day isn’t interrupted; I just start it later than normal. I have to tell you, I’m so glad I don’t have to run that rat-race every morning to get to work. A couple of guys were overheard in the coffee shop the other day. One was telling the other: “Driving to the office the other morning, I looked over to my left, and there was a woman, in a brand new Mustang, doing 65 miles per hour, with her face up next to the rear-view mirror putting on her eyeliner! I looked away for a couple of seconds and when I looked back she was half way over into my lane, still working on her make-up!! It scared me so bad, when I jerked on the wheel to avoid the collision, I dropped my electric razor, which knocked the donut out of my other hand. In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel, my cell phone slipped from its perch between my shoulder and ear, dropping into the cup of coffee between my legs, splashing hot coffee on my trousers. That ruined my phone and disconnected an important phone call!! These woman drivers are a nuisance!” So I say, thanks but no thanks, you can keep your daily commutes. Stress comes easy to me and I’ve been a slow learner when it comes to properly dealing with it. I was put to the test early one morning last week. We were leaving the house, before the sun came up, going to an out-patient clinic for a test when it happened. Have you ever heard the door latch behind you and remembered your keys were still sitting on the table inside the house? I exclaimed to my wife what I had just done and I could feel her tension waiting for my rant to begin. I decided immediately to not throw a fit as I was prepared for such oversights on my part, having done such things in the past, and retrieved the hidden spare key to get back in the house. Without stress, we were on our way. It felt good to be in control and under control, something I’ve had to work on for a long time.
      [Psalm 116] (v.15) “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.” This death is the giving up of ones self and being freed from the chains of selfishness and sin, through the knowledge and wisdom of God. A friend and brother in Christ passed away last week and the following poem reminded me of his life’s history and I think reflexes many of our lives. “It’s In The Valley I Grow” by Jane Eggleston. “Sometimes life seems hard to bear, Full of sorrow, trouble and woe. It’s then I have to remember, That it’s in the valley I grow. If I always stayed on the mountain top, And never experienced pain, I would never appreciate God’s love, and would be living in vain. I have so much to learn, And my growth is so slow, Sometimes I need the mountain tops, But it’s in the valleys I grow. I do not always understand, Why things happen as they do, But I am very sure of one thing. My little valleys are nothing, When I picture Christ on the cross, He went through the valley of death, His victory was Satan’s loss. Forgive me Lord for complaining, When I’m feeling so very low. Just give me a gentle reminder, That it’s in the valleys I grow. Continue to strengthen me, Lord, And use my life each day, To share your love with others, And help them find their way. Thank you for the valleys, Lord, For this one thing I know, The mountain tops are glorious, But it’s in the valleys I grow!” Embrace the valleys of life and God will move mountains.

No comments: