Sunday, February 16, 2014

Back Where I Started

Trivia and games of trivia pursuit is a fad that comes and goes. It’s the seeking of little known facts that add intelligence to our already ignorant database which resides between our ears. Ceiling fans are a mystery to me. I’m told to reverse its rotation for better distribution of hot and cold air throughout my house. In reality, unless the room is large and the ceiling is over eight feet high, it really doesn’t matter which way the fan turns. Personally, I don’t like the air blowing down on me and my nice warm dinner. By the way, when using the ceiling fan as a baseball bat, you will probably have to toss the ball up several times before getting a hit. This comes with several warnings. 1. Baseballs make dents in ceilings. 2. A ceiling fan can hit a baseball a long ways. 3. The glass in windows (even double pane) will not stop a baseball hit by a ceiling fan. Some other trivial thoughts that you might not have thought of: Life is sexually transmitted; Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die; Give a person a fish and you have fed him for a day. Teach a person how to use the internet and he won’t bother you for weeks; Take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism; Have you noticed, in the ‘60s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take chemicals to make it normal; and best of all – When you’re feeling blue, start breathing again …just food for thought.
Get your pencil out (or phone calculator) and let’s do the math. Take 2; double it; multiply this by 8; divide by 2; add 5; divide by 3; multiply by 2; subtract 4; divide by 5. What do you have? That’s right! You ended up where you started. I’ve had a lot of days like that, where at the end of a hard day’s work, I felt like I got nothing accomplished. I think it’s possible to use up a whole life adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing only to end a life where it started …with nothing to show for it. There was a man who retired from a top ranking position in a huge corporation who had this to say about his career. “After forty years of neglecting my family, ignoring the spiritual, and living only to reach the highest office in the company, I end up with a gold watch that I could have bought for what it cost me to purchase the suit that got me the job in the first place.” It seems to me he felt he had ended up where he started off.
[Ecclesiastes 12:6-7] We are all going to end up where we started this life. “…and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.” I have only one life to live and as I approach the end of it I will no doubt look back and evaluate it. I don’t think I will come as near regretting that I gave plenty of time to my family, as I will neglecting them for trivial pursuits. Nor do I believe I will regret the work I have done for the Lord, and the sacrifices I have made for others, as I will the ambitious pursuits for wealth or fame. (I really didn’t do well there at all) But, we can really make our life count. We must remember that only that which is done for the Lord lasts. “…stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain” (1 Corinthians 15:58). I am convinced that I will not end up with just a gold watch when I finish my service to Him. “…we do it to get a crown that will last forever” (1 Corinthians 9:24-27) I’m striving to make my life really add up, with joys in the Lord that multiply, dividing my time properly and not taking away from God what is His. Glory be to God

No comments: