Saturday, August 27, 2005

Let Go, In Faith

It has been said the only difference between an achiever and a non-achiever is that those who get things done aren’t afraid to ask for help. Getting the answer to a question or collecting information about any subject in the world is easy, and readily available today, to anyone seeking it. I don’t think there’s a product on the market that doesn’t have a 1-800 help line printed on the packaging and/or instruction sheet. If I’m not mistaken it’s the law that manufacturers must provide ready access to a consumer help line to answer questions. It’s also becoming rare that a manufacture doesn’t have a website URL printed on their packaging for access to more information than you really need. I often find myself on the phone talking with someone who’s got the answer I need to make my day. It has definitely become an information world and if you consider yourself an underachiever, it’s probably because you’re too proud to ask for help.
It seems a tiger was chasing a man through the jungle. Well, the man ran just as hard as he could and about to run out of energy he found he had actually run out of real-estate as he stood at the edge of a cliff. Looking over the edge he saw a branch protruding from the cliff wall just a few feet below, so jumped down, grabbing the branch, just in time to avoid the tigers maul. While assessing his situation the man was horrified to see a mouse appear from a crevice and begin chewing on the branch. The man looked down and the drop was about 1000 feet to a sure death if he fell. So, he did what you and I most often do when we’re in a situation we can see no way out of, he yelled, “Dear God, if you’re there please help! I will do anything you ask, but please help!” God replied, “You’ll do anything I ask?” The man answered back, “I’ll do anything, but please save me!” God told the man it would take courage and faith for him to be saved. The man said, “Tell me what I must do and I will do it. Your will is my will.” God replied, “All right then, let go of the branch.” Well, the man looked down at sure death, looked up at the hungry tiger and then at the mouse gnawing at the branch his life was hanging on and yelled out, “Is there anyone else up there I can talk to?”
[Hebrews 11: 1] Now, before you laugh too hard, take a look at your own life. What are you holding on to that’s keeping you from enjoying all the blessings that God has in store for you? Are you willing to let go? We read of many of the miraculous healings by Jesus, but I think most readers don’t realize that Jesus told everyone he healed that it was their faith that healed them. (Matthew 9: 28-31) For example, before Jesus healed a group of blind men He said to them, “According to your faith will it be done to you.” The greatest expression of faith, the same faith you and I must possess, is recorded in Matthew 8: 5-13 & Luke 7: 1-10, the healing of a centurion’s servant. The centurion sent word to Jesus apprising him of the situation and pleaded for the healing of his servant. The centurion never approached Jesus himself to speak, but by messenger and friends he asked Jesus to simply speak healing words and the deed would be done as he asked. Jesus stated He had never found such a great faith as this. The next time you call out to God in prayer, expect an answer. Look for the answer. It may not come in the way you expected, but it will be done to you according to your faith. Is God’s will truly your will also? Do not reject the healing, saving power of God’s Word. Satan is like a hungry lion.

No comments: