Saturday, July 28, 2007

Dissapointed In You?

I never thought I would ever in my life be disappointed that I can’t get out and mow the lawn. Sounds crazy, doesn’t it? Well, since I’ve become more domesticated of late, I’ve sort of been looking forward to tending to my lawn and other chores around the house, but the incessant rains this spring and summer are drowning my efforts and dampening my spirit. When I do get to mow, the grass simply mocks me by popping up here and there looking like a bad haircut when I’m through. And what’s up with all the crickets and toads? When pushing the mower through the grass it looks like a miniature animal round-up with bugs and frogs hopping about to get out of the way. Explain to me how crickets get into ceiling florescent light fixtures, and why do they want to be there anyway? Well, we have the promise of sunshine soon, not soon enough for me at the moment, and of course that will probably bring about a new crop of disappointments.
A small town prosecuting attorney called his first witness of the trial to the stand, a grandmotherly, elderly woman. He approached her and asked, “Mrs. Jones, do you know me?” “Why yes, I know you Mr. Williams”, she responded. “I’ve known you since you were a little boy, and frankly, you’ve been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, and you manipulate people and talk about them behind their back. You think you’re a rising big-shot when you haven’t the brains to realize you never will amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yeh, I know you.” The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do, he pointed across the room and asked, “Do you know the defense attorney?” “Why yes I do”, she began. “I’ve known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster, also. I used to baby-sit him for his parents and he too has been a real big disappointment to me. He’s lazy, bigoted, and has a drinking problem. The man can’t build a normal relationship with anyone, and his law practice is one of the shoddiest in the entire state. Yes, I know him.” At this point, the judge dropped his gavel and rapped for silence. He then called both counselors to the bench. In a quiet voice, he said with menace, “If either of you asks her if she knows me, you’re going to jail!”
[Genesis 6: 5-8; Revelation 2 & 3] God has never been afraid to express His disappointment in the actions of the man He created. Don’t get me wrong here. God’s disappointment lies in the physical man, not the man created in His image, the spiritual man. The man who walks the earth is sinful, disobedient to his Father in heaven, yet the Father loves us so much He wants to be with us even as we walk the road to forever in this life. God may be disappointed in us for the things we do and don’t do, but He still sees to it that we have all we need for life and living. He doesn’t talk about us or gossip about the things we do that are not pleasing to Him, nor does He try to manipulate us in such a way as to bring us around to His way of thinking. God has simply seen to it that we have the truth that sustains life, physically and spiritually, and has given mankind the power of reason to make up his own mind as to the existence of God and the eternal life to come. He loves us so much He sent His own Son to shed His life’s blood, to be the perfect sacrifice for the sins of the world. When we’re baptized into Christ through the likeness of His death, we put away the physical man and walk with the Holy Spirit given to us by God. (Acts 2:38) Are you prepared for the second coming? (2 Peter 3) Read it!

No comments: