Saturday, July 28, 2007

It's Never Too Late

WOW! Two whole days without rain! As much as we would like to see the rain stop for a while, I caution you if you’ve been praying for it to stop. That could start our next drought. There’s a lot of construction at a crawl if not a stand-still because of the weather, but things should get back to normal soon. I hear tell a lot of out-of-state families are moving into our county, many coming from California. I hope they don’t think our cool, wet weather and beautiful lawns are the summer norm here. I overheard a portion of a conversation recently while at a check-out, one man saying to another, “Well, a lot of Californian’s are just like me, happy to get out before it’s too late.” I don’t know what all that means, but it sounds like he’s relieved to be from California. I have a new neighbor from out-of-state. I haven’t personally met them yet, but believe their name is Chaparral and I hear they’re from New Mexico. I’ve seen them walking in the neighborhood often, but as yet I haven’t made a social connection. The couple is a curious sort. He’s always well dressed, and she also, but in a rather Amish way, you know, a lack of color sort of thing. Both have a rapid stride with straight posture to their walk. What I’ve noticed most is their curiosity about the neighborhood. They stop along their route and simply stare at properties as if shopping for another home. They don’t seem to want to socialize, as whenever approached, they turn away and quicken their pace in the opposite direction. I’ve thought I might follow them some day just to see where they live, but I certainly don’t want to chase them down like they were criminals. I just get the feeling that I’ll probably never get to know them all that well, unless of course they move into my back yard. No, “Roadrunners” don’t mind being seen, but at the same time don’t really want to get chummy with the neighbors. All joking aside, I’m thrilled to see the neighborhood wildlife returning. Over the years, the fire ants have really done some great damage to the wildlife. But now, some-what under control, things like horned toads, jack rabbits, squirrels and ground nesting birds are making a rather remarkable comeback. Like the, not so endangered anymore, Eagle, it’s never too late to correct some of the mistakes that have altered nature and live in harmony, again.
[Matthew 7: 13-14] I’ve never been known as a socialite, in fact I prefer solitude, not that I dislike people, and if the Chaparral’s were my new human neighbors I would make a special effort to introduce myself and get to know them a little better. My work of the past five years has definitely helped me to develop better social skills. I’ve been working at it hard, and some might say they don’t see much difference, but I do. What I notice the most is my comfort zone of knowing that I’m enjoying a life in harmony with God, a life that I’m willing to share with anyone. Even though I’ve always survived with a healthy fear of God and knowing the consequences of doing wrong, I’d never really embraced the joys found in the knowledge that I’m free of all the mistakes of my past because of my obedience to the Gospel through baptism and my righteous dedication to God’s will in my every day living. Too many people think that God will not love them because of their past and when speaking with them they dwell on it for some time. I let them know and show them in scripture, it’s never too late to make a comeback with God. Jesus died for all, that we might seek God with a straight posture and a joyful heart

No comments: