Saturday, July 14, 2007

Waxing Nostolgic

I’ve been waxing nostalgic all this past week. It started last week when I took a young lady to church singing school, the same one I attended several years in the mid 90’s. I learned of a reunion following this, their 40th consecutive school session, and I couldn’t wait to get home to dig out my photos and pour over some other memorabilia from the sessions I attended. I’m going to try making the reunion. Then early week, I found time between the thunderstorms to work on a long awaited store room cleaning. Well, I guess you know what happens when you start digging into the past. Yep, it takes forever to sort and discard. My wife did an Elvis. She simply turned and left the building. “You sort and toss”, she instructed. “If I don’t see it I won’t miss it.” Oh boy, this won’t take long now! Then I ran across a box I thought had been lost years ago, after finding my High School graduation yearbook damaged and separated from it. I stared into a box from the 60’s when youth sprang eternal. Boy Scouts, High School, Auto Racing, pay stubs from my first big employer and the bill of sales for the only new car I’ve ever bought, a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback for $2,746.44, after trade-in and down payment. I owned it three months before Uncle Sam owned me. It’s all safely repacked until the next time. Then the other night I was surfing and stopped at the Sci-Fi channel which was running a “Twilight Zone Marathon”. Before MASH, there was the Twilight Zone. I love that show and could watch every episode over and over without getting tired of them. Well, the only problem with waxing nostalgic is the mind becomes flooded with the “what ifs” and “whys” of life that tend to make us second guess ourselves. But I must say, I find myself quite content at the end of this nostalgia trip.
One day a man said to his wife,’ I don’t know how you can be so beautiful and so stupid at the same time.” The wife responded, “Allow me to explain it to you. God made me beautiful so you would be attracted to me. God made me stupid so I would be attracted to you.” Then there was the minister who had been invited back to dinner after coming three months prior. Immediately after giving thanks for the food one of the children turned to the preacher and said matter-of-factly, “Know what? That’s the first time we’ve said grace since you ate with us before.” How about the Bible teacher that asked her class what the Epistles were. One said, “They were the wives of the Apostles”.
[2 Peter 1: 1-15] In this entire letter, Peter reminds us that we need to open the past of God’s word to review what we already know, but perhaps has become a little skewed from listening to the world a little too much. It’s easy for us to slip-slip away from the basic truths that brought us to Christ and salvation in the beginning. We need to be reminded of these basic truths, even though we feel we have a firm grip on them. Are we still building our Christian faith and hope on the same foundation we started with? Are we building as God has instructed us to build? We need to examine our Christian walk every day and “wax nostalgic” on why we came this way to begin with. We have a treasure chest of history to open and reminisce through whenever we want. It’s called the Bible. Not only can we look into the past to witness God’s love throughout the ages, but know the future that awaits mankind through God’s promises yet to be fulfilled. I’ve read the end of the book and those who build on the promises are the winners, forever.

No comments: