Saturday, December 20, 2014

Christmas in Heaven

I walked my yard for the last time this year with the expressed purpose of picking up pecans. The drought hasn’t been kind to my old tree and its production has noticeably dwindled the past few years. Unfortunately, I think the squirrel population has doubled and the competition as to who gets to the yard first to collect nuts has been intense. I’ve put up with the squirrels for years without too much grief, but this year they’ve done some things I’ve never seen them do before. I came home one day during the summer to find green nuts all over the front yard. The nuts were set and growing, and all I can figure is, a couple of delinquents started running through the trees biting chunks out of the green nuts, dislodging them from their umbilical, because every nut on the ground had a bite taken out of it. I hoped they had gotten a belly ache like I used to get from eating green apples. Not much changed over the summer because as I harvest the yard this fall those same squirrels are taking bites out of the mature nuts on the ground and just leaving them behind. Ooooo that makes me sooo mad!! Well, several of the wasted nuts in fact didn’t go to waste as my little Chihuahua has discovered the delights of fresh pecans upon the palate. So there I am kneeling in the fall leaves, pealing shells from half eaten pecans, feeding nuts to Bella and wondering why a squirrel hates me.

This is the time of year when the food police come out of the woodwork with their wagging fingers and annual tips on how to get through the holidays without gaining ten pounds. One can’t pick up a magazine without finding a list of holiday do’s and don’ts. “Eliminate second helpings, high-calorie sauces and cookies made with butter,” they say. “Fill up on carrot sticks,” they say. Good grief! Is your favorite childhood memory of Christmas a carrot stick? I don’t think so. Isn’t mine, either. A carrot was something we threw up on the roof for Rudolph to chomp on while waiting for Santa to get back. Hey! Go and enjoy the parties. Just don’t get squirrely and take a bite out of something, then deciding you don’t like it, putting it back on the serving dish. That’s worse than double-dipping a chip. Yuck! Cookie-less January is just around the corner, so, what other time of the year can you have a piece of apple, pumpkin and pecan pie at the same time on one plate without anyone really taking notice? Labor Day? Enjoy.

[2 Corinthians 5:1-8] I know some of you have had loved ones depart from you this year. Here’s a little poem for you; “Christmas In Heaven” by Wanda Bencke. “I see the countless Christmas trees around the world below; With tiny lights like heaven's stars reflecting on the snow. The sight is so spectacular please wipe away that tear; For I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year. I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear; But the sounds of music can't compare with the Christmas choir up here. I have no words to tell you of the joy their voices bring; For it is beyond description to hear the angels sing. I know how much you miss me, I see the pain inside your heart; For I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year. I can't tell you of the splendor or the peace here in this place; Can you just imagine Christmas with our Savior face to face? I'll ask him to lift your spirit as I tell you of your love;
So, then pray for one another as you lift your eyes above. Please let your hearts be joyful and let your spirit sing; For I am spending Christmas in heaven and I'm walking with the King.” I pray you have a blessed day and all is well with you and your family.

No comments: