Sunday, May 28, 2006

I Can, If I WantTo

For several years now if you catch me watching TV I’ll most likely be enjoying a documentary about something. I’m there because I’m tired of having my intelligence insulted with what’s on the network channels. In hopes of not contradicting myself, I enjoyed two documentaries recently. One about a magician, David Blaine, who works on the streets of the world, without props, pomp or circumstance. He is unbelievably good and is even able to levitate about six inches off the ground, on camera. &Do-do-do-do& Mind over matter? No! Mind over mind. It’s only a trick, but a real good one. Then there’s Kim Peek, the real “Rain Man”. It was his life that was portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in the movie “Rain Man”. Kim is recognized world wide as a “super savant”. A “savant” is a person with extensive knowledge in a certain discipline. Most savants are severely mentally handicapped. Kim is such a person. He is fifty-four years old and his father of eighty tends to his every need, because Kim is unable to function in the world alone. And yet his knowledge memory excels in many fields. Testing shows no bridge between the right and left side of his brain. He actually reads a book two pages at a time, the right eye on the right page and the left on the left, with an average of 98% retention. Yet with all his knowledge, he’s unable to put any of it to intelligent use. At eight months old in 1952, his parents were told to institutionalize him and forget he ever existed for he would never walk, talk or be worth anything to anyone. What say you?
A dog walks into a butcher shop carrying a coin purse in his mouth. He puts the purse down and sits in front of the meat case. “What is it boy?” the butcher asks. “Want to buy some meat?” “Woof!” barks the dog. “Hmmm,” says the butcher. “What kind? Liver, bacon, steak…” “Woof!” interrupts the dog. “And how much steak? Half a pound, one pound…” “Woof!” The amazed butcher wraps up the meat and finds enough money in the dog’s coin purse. As the dog leaves, he decides to follow. The dog enters an apartment house, climbs the stairs to the third floor and begins to scratch at a door. With that the door swings open and an angry man starts shouting at the dog. “Stop!!” yells the butcher. “He’s the most intelligent animal I’ve ever seen!” “Intelligent?” says the man. “This is the third time this week he’s forgotten his key!”
[John 20: 30-31] If I wanted to, I could help make the church the most wide awake and working church in the world. If I wanted to, I could visit members who are sick or homebound and find ways of helping them. If I wanted to, I could attend Bible classes regularly and encourage others to do the same. If I wanted to, I could show more devotion in worship and receive much more good from the services myself. If I wanted to, I could profit more from the sermon by not resenting the truth when it reveals some of my weaknesses. If I wanted to, I could tell others about Christ and His church, and lead them to Him. Of course, this all depends on what I want to do. I have the ability – If I really want to. What Jesus did while on this earth, He did because He wanted to. Jesus brought about such a great change in the thinking of man that time was re-started. How do you use your knowledge of Jesus’ life and of the existence of God? How often do you allow the world to insult your intelligence concerning God’s will for mankind? Jesus is returning for those who are using their knowledge. Do you want to go with Him?

No comments: