Monday, May 22, 2006

Only One Sale

I went to a sales seminar this past week. I went because there were several speakers I wanted to hear and to hopefully gain some new insight to dealing with people. It helped a lot and it’s always good to hear from other people now and again, especially if what they have to say reinforces what other teachers are saying. Each speaker spent much time talking about the proper strong spirit that one must maintain to become successful in life. It’s not a “dog eat dog” world. Truth, honesty, integrity, commitment, love and a strong spiritual well-being is still the best formula for success in whatever you do in this life. Think on this. Wealth is not always a sign of happiness or success.
A young country Texan moved to the “big city” in hopes of starting his career in sales. He went to a huge department store where the manager asked, “Do you have any sales experience?” The young man explained he had worked two summers behind the sales counter of the tractor supply business back home. Well, the boss liked the kid so he gave him a job. “You start tomorrow.” His first day on the job was rough but the young man got through it. After the last customer was gone and the doors were locked the boss came by. “How many sales did you make today” he inquired? The kid said, “One.” “Just one?”, the boss said. “Our sales people average 20 sales a day. How much was the sale for?” The kid says, $101,237.64” The boss says in astonishment, “$101,237.64? What did you sell him?” The young man says, “First I sold him a small fish hook. Then I sold him a medium fish hook. Then I sold him a larger fish hook. Then I sold him a fishing rod. Then I asked him where he was going fishing, he said down at the coast, so I told him he was going to need a boat, so I took him to the boat department and sold him a twin engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn’t think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him to the truck department and sold him a 4x4 Blazer.” The boss says, “A man comes in for a fish hook and you sold him a boat and a truck?” The kid says, “Not exactly. He came in for some cold and flu medicine for his wife and I said, ‘Well, since it looks like your weekend with your wife is shot, you might as well go fishing.”
[Proverbs 10-24] I can hear it now, “Tom! Are you crazy? You expect me to read 15 chapters of the Bible in one sitting?” Yea, it’s going to take you a little while to read it, but make this observation as you read. The theme Solomon is putting forth is one of conduct and hope. With thoughts of righteousness one man does this, and his life is good. In folly or selfishness another man does that, and it always returns to aggravate or destroy his life. As I read it seems there’s an almost natural law coming from God. “Do this and this will happen.” “Do that and that will happen.” “Righteousness gets rewarded and unrighteousness gets punished.” A man once told me he thought Jesus was nothing but a great salesman and had suckered billions with his pitch. Well, DUH!! Jesus came from his Father with a message of hope for you and I. The message is that we can be forgiven of our sins against God and live a righteous life. Jesus pitched hope, love, truth, honesty, integrity, ethics, compassion and the list goes on. When I here the message I have a choice to make. I can buy into it, for free, lose my guilt, gain happiness and stability or reject it and continue my life in misery and uncertainty. Trust me! It’s a great deal! I’ve already won a trip to heaven! To be in the presence of God’s love forever - PRICELESS

No comments: