Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mother's And God

Happy Mother’s Day!! I’m always at a loss for words on this holiday because I have to admit, I know nothing about being a mother and obviously will never know by first hand the experience of being a mother. So I’m going to use a little essay my sister sent to our mother a few years ago to maybe help all the other guys out there come closer to understanding what it means to be a mother.
Before I was a Mom I made and ate hot meals. I had unstained clothing and enjoyed quiet conversations on the telephone. Before I was a Mom I slept as long as I wanted and never worried how late I got to bed the night before. I brushed my hair and teeth every day. Before I was a Mom I cleaned my house each day. I never tripped over toys or forgot words to “Lullaby”. Before I was a Mom I didn’t worry whether or not my plants were poisonous, and never thought about immunizations. Before I was a Mom I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit on, chewed on or peed on. I had complete control of my mind and thoughts. I slept all night. Before I was a Mom I never held down a screaming child so doctors could do tests or give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never stayed up late at night watching a baby sleep. Before I was a Mom I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn’t want to put it down. I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn’t stop the hurt. I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew I would love being a Mom. Before I was a Mom I didn’t know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn’t know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn’t know that bond between a mother and her child. I didn’t know that something so small could make me feel so important. Before I was a Mom I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every ten minutes to make sure everything was okay. I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom. I didn’t know I was capable of feeling so much, before I was a Mom.
A four and a six-year-old presented their Mom with a houseplant. They had used their own money and she was thrilled. The older of them said with a sad face, “There was a bouquet at the flower shop that we wanted to give you. It was real pretty, but it was too expensive. It had a ribbon on it that said ‘REST IN PEACE’ and we thought it would be just perfect since you are always asking for a little peace so you can rest.”
[John 19: 25-27] Search the Word of God for mother and you won’t find much on the subject. There is much to be said of a wife (i.e. Proverbs 31: 10-31) and parenting, but I don’t think you’ll find instructions for motherhood. To me it’s one of those secrets of God. It’s one of those things of natural life we enter into, frightened and unsure of ourselves as to what to do. But with faith and courage, the instincts that God has planted within us bloom and come forth with tender guidance bringing us into a new realm of life. Still, mothers and God have a special thing going that we men will probably never understand. It’s like that thing between mothers and daughters we don’t get. If we could see through the eyes of Jesus, as He saw to it that His mother was to be cared for, we might just see how special our mothers are in the eyes of God. Eternal love for a child.

No comments: