Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Jesus' Second Coming

Growing up, Christmas was not a bad word. Everybody used the word. Christmas was found in the newspapers, all the advertisers used it in their special seasonal ads, and storefront windows proudly announced it in big letters with artificial snow from a spray can. Then political correctness entered our lives, Christ got x’d out and the season became Xmas. Today not even Xmas is acceptable for fear of making someone uncomfortable, so now we contend with simply the Holiday Season, and like having no locally farmed peanuts for our annual Peanut Festival, people are beginning to forget the true meaning of the celebration. Our heritage and the true meaning of the New World and America is fading, as laws for the greater good soothe the minority cries. It’s so sad.
A woman was out Christmas shopping with her two children. After many hours of looking at rows and rows of toys and everything else imaginable and listening to her children asking for everything they saw on those many shelves, she finally made it to the elevator with her two kids. She was feeling what most feel during the holiday season, overwhelming pressure to go to every party, every housewarming, taste all the foods and treats, getting that perfect gift for everyone on the shopping list, making sure not to forget anyone on the greeting card list and responding to everyone who sent us a card. Finally the elevator doors opened to an already full crowd in the car. She pushed her way into the car, dragging her two kids and all her packages in with her. When the doors closed she couldn’t contain her thought and said, “Whoever started this whole Christmas thing should be found, strung up, and shot!” From the back of the car everyone heard a calm quiet voice respond, “Don’t worry, we already crucified him.”
[2 Peter 3: 3-14] Our celebration of Jesus’ birth is filled with love, laughter and giving. Will you celebrate Jesus’ second coming in the same manner? ‘Twas the night Jesus came and all through the house, not a person was praying, not one in the house; The Bible was left on the shelf without care, for no one thought Jesus would come there; The children were dressing to crawl into bed, not once ever kneeling or bowing their head; And mom in the rocking chair with babe on her lap, was watching the Late Show as I took a nap; When out of the east there arose such a clatter, I sprang to my feet to see what was the matter; Away to the window I flew like a flash, tore open the shutter and lifted the sash; When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but angels proclaiming that Jesus was here; The light of His face made me cover my head, it was Jesus returning just like he’d said; And though I possess worldly wisdom and wealth, I cried when I saw Him in spite of myself; In the Book of Life, which He held in his hand, was written the name of every saved man; He spoke not a word as He searched for my name, when He said, “It’s not here”, my head hung in shame; The people whose names had been written with love, He gathered to take to his Father above; With those who were ready He rose without a sound, while all the others were left standing around; I fell to my knees, but it was too late, I’d waited too long thus sealed my fate; I stood and I cried as they rose out of sight, “Oh, if I’d only known this was the night!” In the words of this poem the meaning is clear, the coming of Jesus is now drawing near; There’s only one life and when it comes the last call, We’ll find out the Bible was true after all. What is your fate?

No comments: