Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Place Prepared For Me

Helping my dad get settled into his new environment has been slow, but it seems something gets accomplished each day. He’s methodically sorting and culling out his worldly possessions ridding himself of those things he has no further use for. With the help of my wife, a carload of paperwork and a few days worth of phone calls, has gotten us started, we pray, in the right direction of getting re-established with doctors and mail delivery and so-forth. The satellite TV guy is stuck in the mud someplace and finding a small cabinet for the microwave to rest on has been a challenge, but both will be a problem of the past soon. A good lunch is delivered every weekday through a senior’s program and that linked with the discovery of a few eateries around town that fancy his pallet, I don’t see him going hungry any time soon. No matter the situation life is still good in this ole world. I found the less I worry about tomorrow the better today would be. Yes, I plan ahead, but I don’t fret about what hasn’t even happened yet. I do what I must, but mostly only what I have time for, each day, and look to tomorrow as a continuation to my life’s journey after a short rest in a nice warm bed. Yes, we’ve got it good here, better than most, but still, nothing compared to our place prepared in heaven.
A barn out in the country is struck by lightning. One hundred field mice are killed. They all go to heaven. After a few days of taking it all in, they enter a huge room and there sits God. God says, “I hope you like it here. Is there anything you are in need of?” A spokesman for the mice stepped forward and said, “It’s really great here, but there’s so much to see, and with our little short legs we’ll never be able to see it all.” God says, “I think I can help.” He orders some motorized rollerblades for the mice to use, “There, that should do the trick.” The mice sped on down the street giggling and praising God. Meanwhile, back on Earth a Tomcat is crossing the road and is struck by a huge truck. He goes to heaven too. After a few days of wandering around Tom entered the great room and sees God sitting there. God says, “Hello Tom. How’s it going?” Tom says, “Great! I love it here!” God chuckles and says, “Well, what is it you like best about being here?” Tom thought a moment, and said, “I’d have to say the meals on wheels.”
[Revelation 21:1-8, 22-27; 22: 1-5] Just reading the account of John, as to what he was shown and what he heard from the throne of heaven, makes my head spin with the glory that awaits the faithful. I know it won’t take long to settle into my new environment. I won’t have any earthly baggage to unpack and sort through deciding what I want to keep and what I won’t need anymore. There’ll be no need to worry about tomorrow because there won’t ever be another tomorrow. I will finally get to see the God of my faith. I will be in the presence of the God who has dwelled within my baptized earthly body. I will enjoy face to face the love of the God who supplied my every need while I lived a life seeking His kingdom. The American dream has benefited countless of millions, in countless ways, throughout the history of the United States, only to find in the end, it’s all left behind. I wish I could convince the world, that the Eternal dream of love, peace and tranquility can be lived on earth, as it is in heaven. What a different world this would be if everyone practiced Bible principles. Jesus lived among us and taught, love for God and for one another, will bring us home to Him.

No comments: