Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Yes You! GO!

I know you have, but I’ll ask anyway just to get you thinking. Have you ever had to do something you really didn’t want to do? Too many to count, right? Well, let’s narrow it down to having to do something out-of-doors in unfavorable weather. I was reminded of a few of those times New Year’s night when I saw a city crew knee deep in cold sloppy mud, out in the middle of a street repairing a ruptured water main. Probably not being one of the things they had planned for a national holiday away from work, I don’t suppose. Early the Sunday morning before, there was the same city crew repairing a water main burst only a few blocks away, definitely not what I would want to be doing on Sunday morning. No, but I can sympathize with them because I’ve spent time under my house repairing water leaks on Sunday morning in the past. From time to time we all get called to do something we really don’t want to do, and with a sense of duty we conquer the threat, slay the dragon or fix whatever broke, then move on in our organized life. By the way, you might just say thanks to some of those city workers some time. After all, what would we do without them on those blistering hot summer days or cold winter nights when there’s no water to flush with? Somebody’s got to do it!
A priest, a minister and a guru sat discussing the best position for prayer, while a telephone repairman worked nearby. “Kneeling is definitely the best way to pray”, said the priest. “No”, said the minister. “I get the best results standing or sitting with my head bowed and my eyes closed.” “You’re both wrong”, the guru said. “The most effective prayer position is lying down on the floor.” The repairman could contain himself no longer. “Hey, fellas”, he interrupted. “The best prayin’ I ever did is when I was hangin’ upside down from a telephone pole.”
Following worship one Sunday morning, a young boy suddenly announced to his mother, “Mom, I’ve decided to become a minister when I grow up.” “That’s great, but what made you decide that?” “Well”, replied the boy, “I have to go to church on Sunday anyway, and I figure it will be more fun to stand up and yell, than to sit and listen.”
[Exodus 4: 10-13; Acts 9: 10-19] There are times when we’re called upon to act outside of our normal ordinary routine. The request may come at our place of employment, in the home, even at play, or it may come under distress in an emergency situation. Nevertheless, when we feel uncomfortable, we tend to offer excuses why we can’t do what needs to be done. Moses told God he was a poor speaker and felt that the Lord needed to send someone else to Egypt, but it was God who saw Moses as the man to get the job done. Ananias was afraid of Saul and didn’t want to be the one to go visit him, but God saw Ananias as the man that would bring Saul to salvation, filling him with the Holy Spirit. The Lord has asked all believers to go into the world making disciples, baptizing them and teaching them the truths of God from His word. Needless to say, that’s a little out of our normal daily functions so most believers are full of excuses as to why they cannot do what the Lord has asked of them. Well, like Moses, God will find someone to go with you if need be, so go! Like Ananias, God will not send you without a purpose. On the job training is always an eye opener and remember you’re never alone when you’re doing God’s work. Jesus said, “I am with you always.”

No comments: