Thursday, April 24, 2008

No Matter The Situation

Moving from one house to another is not one of my favorite chores. I’ve always said I’d rather take a beating as to have to move. Well, let me think about that, again. So anyway, the saga continues with my 90 year-old father’s move from four and one half hours down the road to two minutes away, making his children feel a lot more comfortable. The past ten days have felt like a month trying to get things together for housing and such, but it’s nearing an end and in mere days he’ll be moved in, sleeping in his own bed. A lot of the emotion and stress of the move was diluted when I gave him my vehicle to run around in. Independence is a wonderful morale booster and proved true for both of us. At this point I’ve got to give kudos to my spouse, a helpmate, blessed of God and to my sister a pillar of endurance with a core of love.
A distraught senior citizen called his doctor’s office. “Is it true,” he wanted to know, “that the medication you prescribed has to be taken for the rest of my life?” “Yes, I’m afraid so,” the doctor told him. There was a moment of silence before the senior gentleman replied, “I’m wondering then, just how serious is my condition, because I noticed the prescription bottle is marked ‘NO REFILLS’.”
When asked about aging some seniors had these insights to share. “Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it; …The older you get, the fewer the things that seem worth waiting in line for; …When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think about Algebra; …Ah, being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable; …If you don’t learn to laugh at trouble when you’re young, you won’t have anything to laugh at when you’re old; …I don’t know how I got over the hill without getting to the top; …Some people want to turn back their odometers. Not me. I want other people to know why I look this way. I’ve traveled a long way and frankly, some of the roads weren’t paved.”
Then there’s the “Seniors Prayer”. “Oh God, we ask not for easier tasks, we ask for stronger aptitudes and greater talents to meet the tasks that come our way. Help us to help others so that their lives may be made easier and happier. Strengthen our confidence in our fellow man. Give us strength to live according to the Golden Rule and enthusiasm to inspire those around us. Give us sympathy to lighten the burdens of those who suffer, and a spirit of joy and gladness to share with others. Amen”
[Philippians 4: 4-20] Paul, (Saul), was not trusted by the early Christians, because of his known persecutions of the early church. The faithful members of the church at Philippi were the only people supporting Paul as he journeyed preaching the Gospel of Jesus. As a Jew, Saul would do anything to discredit Jesus, but as a Christian, Paul was ready in any situation to share the peace of God through Jesus or Lord with anyone and everyone at any time. That’s the proper place we ought be in every day whether we’re dealing with 9 year-olds or 90 year-olds. Treat others with respect and in the love of Christ no matter what the situation may be. Thank those who understand and share in your problems of life. Solicit the prayers of others and above all rejoice in the Lord for He is good and will help you through the trials of life. He is the light at the end of the tunnel. He is the Shepard who restores the soul. He walks through the valley with you.

No comments: