Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Robert

As time continues to march on, we’ll continue to suffer the loss of loved ones, family and friends. April 1st dawned with the news of a friend passing from this world. Robert came into my life a few short years ago, due to some physical and spiritual problems he was experiencing at the time. My employment and volunteer status then had me involved in both areas of life, so I got to know him well. Robert had a heart as big as all outdoors and a family, it seems, just as big. His love for family stretched from siblings to second and third cousins with warmth and sincerity. He never departed their presence without telling them he loved them, which he also shared with his friends, and as a recipient on many occasions, his statement was genuine and heartfelt. His true love was his wife, whom he cherished and showed constant affection whenever in her company. I know she loved him just as much, even though he would embarrass her now and again causing her to blush, roll her eyes up and say, “Oh Robert!”. Too, she was comfortable playing second fiddle in his life, for the Lord God was first and foremost in everything he did. Robert never calculated time or money when it came to getting things done. Forever volunteering to help, if he couldn’t do it for you, he would call someone in the family or one of his many business contacts with the assurance of completion. Robert was a big man and a comedian in his own little way, always keeping things light no matter the situation. Many physical problems kept doctors in his life busy and frequent hospital stays have not been uncommon the past two years. He reminds me of the little boy in a story I have, who was singing, “Beautiful robes alright...”. His mother corrected him explaining the words of the song were, “Beautiful Robes Of White” and they meant that when we get to heaven we’ll wear beautiful white robes. He looked at her and very emphatically said, “I’m not! I’m taking my pajamas!” Well, every time Robert was admitted to the hospital unexpectedly, his first order of business was to send his wife, Jean, home to retrieve his pj’s. Unfortunately, his physical problems increased and his body failed to a point of having to receive dialysis treatments. The past few months showed great improvements, bringing about bright hopes for the future, but alas his mortal body could no longer stand the strain and gave up. He will be missed by many, but his memory will not soon fade. I know we’ll meet again as brothers in Christ.
[1Peter 2: 17] Loyalty is expected in many areas of life: marriage, family, friends, nation and employment. God also expects loyalty of his children, the subjects of his kingdom. We must be loyal to God, his Son, his Church, his Word and the full brotherhood of the saints. “Lo I come to do thy will, oh God. Out of that dutiful root grows the beautiful life, the life radically and radiantly true to God – the only life that can be lived in both worlds.” (Maltbie Babcock) William Shakespeare penned, “Master go on, and I will follow thee; To the last gasp, with truth and loyalty.” Alexander Pope said of a departed comrade, “...friend to truth! Of soul sincere; In action faithful, and in honor clear; Who broke no promise, served no private end; Who gained no title, and who lost no friend.” I borrow these thoughts to express my sorrow and state in a word, Robert was loyal! I praise God for placing such people in my life. I pray I have learned and grown closer to doing His will. My life is better, because of a loyal friend, Robert.

No comments: